Projector rather than tv

Pocster

Had a projector in my last house. 120” screen. The plasma TV never got a look in!

there are amazing projectors out there but they are very expensive. 

caveat: I’ve not done AV research for a while so I’m a little out of touch

Edited by Thorfun
  • Like 1

Depends how you are going to use it, if it's only for sit-down immersive viewing with lowered blinds/lighting then go for as large a projector screen as practical.  If you are going to use it primarily for viewing TV while doing other suff without dimmed lights go for TV.  If you want both then consider TV with  projector screen that comes down in front of it.

65" TV now, pre-wire for a potential 10' projector sceeen is plan here.  

• Like 1

Projector is the only way to go if you have the room. But to have a really good picture you need to bring down the reflected light which destroys the contrast. That means decor with dark colours. Been without my setup for 12 months since starting the self build journey. Here is a picture of the last film I watched before packing up my kit. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Nick Laslett
  • Like 2

I love my projector and even though it's only standard HD compared to the 4k telly it's miles better. It's the sheer bigness, see.

4k projectors have come down in price over the last few years though and if you spend enough you can get one with good contrast and brightness. 

A screen that comes down in front of the television is great because it lets you have a normal sized tv that doesn't dominate the room, but switch into cinema mode when you want to. Then you start dreaming of motorised screens, or how to rig up a contraption to pull the edges of the screen taut and get rid of a wave in the fabric that only you can see

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James Newport said:

Then you start dreaming of motorised screens, or how to rig up a contraption to pull the edges of the screen taut and get rid of a wave in the fabric that only you can see

You read my mind . Big is best as we all know 

Projector central is a good a place to start (https://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm). Narrow it down to what will fit in your space (and give you as much size as possible) and go from there. 

I bought a screen from http://www.sapphireav.com/, and it's been great. Richer sounds sell them, but if you live in the same town as the importer's depot the MD will drive it up to your house in his car as a nice surprise. 

• Thanks 1