ASHP running cost

Please can someone tell me. My installer has told me to leave the heating setting on my ASHP 'on' in the summer months and just control it by using the hand held thermostat (putting it down to 10 degrees in the summer months), rather than turning the heating off altogether. The system is installed in the loft and controls radiators only. I can hear some noise coming from the loft when the heating is left on like this. .......... I am wondering by leaving the system 'on' is it heating up the buffer tank - is that the background noise I can hear? Also is it going to cost me more to keep the system 'on' although it is not heating any radiators up please?

42 minutes ago, Loclnor said:

I am wondering by leaving the system 'on' is it heating up the buffer tank - is that the background noise I can hear?

Probably, and for DHW usage.

The loft is a strange place to install an ASHP, or do you just mean the buffer and cylinder, maybe a pump as well, are up there.

Edited by SteamyTea

• 3 weeks later...

We are the opposite. We have had the hot water programmed off for the past couple.od months as the solar is heating it. I've got the heating on on the heat pump but have got it controlled by the thermostats though I've only two rooms programmed on with the stats the rest are off and the heating has only tripped in a couple of times recently. 

Should we actually turn the heat pump heating off as well as the hot water then? Especially as we are expecting a big heatwave it seems silly to have the heating on if the thermostats won't be putting any heat on because it's too hot!