Material to Subdivide Warehouse bays

I am looking at a warehouse / industrial unit with several bays (think northlight style sawtooth roof).

I may need to divide off a bay with an internal wall. It does not need to be particularly robust - one side would be a gym so there may be the occasional stray medicine ball etc.

The dimensions of the division are 4m high x 30m long.

My initial thought was a corrugated materlal fixed at top at bottom since I can order that to length and use self-tapping screws. But normal 2mm or so metal roofing would dint too easily.

Can anyone suggest a suitable material or alternative system? They must exist.

Thanks

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Just a thought but have you considered the issue of sound proofing beteeen the two units? It might not be an issue for you.

When we did the same thing at our unit we ended up with a simple stud wall, filled with rockwool and skinned with OSB, It worked out cheaper than anything else. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

[...]

It does not need to be particularly robust - one side would be a gym so there may be the occasional stray medicine ball etc.

[...]

When was the last time you were hit with a medicine ball or two?       2 mill metal. ¬¬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

When was the last time you were hit with a medicine ball or two?       2 mill metal. ¬¬

The last time I failed to catch my 4kg wall ball when doing a WOD :-). I just tested it so 90 seconds ago.

Suspect the material properties I need are those of asbestos roofing sheet minus the killing people feature.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Just a thought but have you considered the issue of sound proofing beteeen the two units? It might not be an issue for you.

When we did the same thing at our unit we ended up with a simple stud wall, filled with rockwool and skinned with OSB, It worked out cheaper than anything else. 

Interesting. That is roughly what I have been told by a friend on the maintenance team at Sports Direct and what we had to build treatment rooms previously.

I was hoping for a single longitudinally rigid material that I could attach at top and bottom with no need for a framework.

If I am into strong stud frameworks then it will be 40-60 ukp per Sqm. I really want to be under 20 ukp per sqm.

Large lightweight blocks might potentially be cheaper than that :-(.

Edited by Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, jack said:

Do you do Crossfit?

Sometimes.

It is a Crossfit gym and I have a minority stake as investment was hard to find from banks etc.

At the moment we are looking for a 5000 sqft unit in an incredibly tight market locally. We just had match funding for a further investment from the Council so need to be local. There is virtually nothing between 2k sqft and 7-8k without paying brand new rents or retail.

I introduced them to the joys of the Planning System and Change of Use and how everything takes months in buildings.

Edited by Ferdinand

I've done Crossfit on and off over the last few years, but recently decided to take a break for a few months to focus on strength training.  I was never any good, but my wife's massively gotten into it since taking it up late in 2015 (to the point where she's just qualified for this : http://www.europeanmastersthrowdown.com/)

Anyway, interesting stuff.  Will let the thread get back on topic.

• Like 1