External Wood Paint

I need to paint some outdoor planters, and wooden railings/ posts. The wood is all bare & tanalised at the moment, and some of the wood is made of split and stripped logs, so are uneven surfaced.

I'm concerned that I am signing myself up for repainting every couple of years! Any recommendations as to which paints to use, and quicker methods of painting?

I like Bedec MSP. Doesn't need a primer or undercoat. Lasts well. Goes on OK for me. Been using it for the last six or so years. Not repainted anything yet.

Also used Sadolin Classic stain on some cladding. That on the shaded side is still good after nine years. On the side with more sun I gave it a recoat last year.

• Like 1

We have similar except we want to paint some decking and some timber cladding the same colour.  That seems to limit choice somewhat.  Only a few suppliers sell decking and "fence" paint the same colour and only in a few colours, mostly brown.  So to get the colour we want we had to go to the big orange DIY shed where they can do both in a range of colours at the counter where they mix it.

I will let you know when we get around to doing it how successful that was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidFrancis said:

I like Bedec MSP. Doesn't need a primer or undercoat. Lasts well. Goes on OK for me. Been using it for the last six or so years. Not repainted anything yet.

I like the sound of this - any idea whether they do sample pots?

24 minutes ago, vk2003 said:

Thanks Onoff - the MSP seems to come in a satin finish, but barn paint is semi-gloss. The boss has decreed that the former is the desired finish...?

Yep. Only black and white is available in satin in the barn paint.

@vk2003 whereabouts are you? I've  satin black Bedec barn paint here. Could sort you a jam jar full to try if you were local 'ish. Not a thing I would post.

My mate has Battleship Grey or maybe Forest Green. Oddly he doesn't rate the stuff. Painted his already painted palisade wooden fence and reckons it accelerated it's demise! 

I'll say again I think it's brilliant and he's wrong. 3 coats of satin black on bare, new scaffold boards I made my gate from. 

Gates fitted in 2014. This taken last year. Never painted since. 

20200405_095246

• Thanks 1

That's very kind of you Onoff. I'm down in Surrey, so a fair distance away.

However, I went to a Brewers Paint shop today, and they gave me a couple of sample tins of Bedec Barn Paint FOC!

They also recommended Zinsser paint, and said it was as good as the Bedec MSP, didn't require a primer either, and critically, they could mix it to whichever colour you chose.

As the wife is set on some F&Ball colour, my life just got a whole load easier. However, I grabbed the samples as the colours we thought the colours weren't that far off.

5 hours ago, vk2003 said:

They also recommended Zinsser paint..

I've used their paint on the ceiling in my bathroom. Was having a hig issue with mould and peeling above the shower where the ceiling gets wet. Worked really well. First time I only painted the bit over the shower. 6 months later that area was still mould free but I could see it appearing further away from the shower on the bits I hadn't done. Whole ceiling done now!

• Thanks 1