Hoping to PM our house extension

Detta Walker

Hi all,

currently submitted plans to the council for planning application to extend our 1965 detached house. Big project and as we're trying to keep cost down, I'm considering to self manage. I've managed projects at work in IT, so whilst different, I know I am organized enough to do this well - I just need to acquire the relevant knowledge now ;-). I'm trying to read up on managing an extension - but if you've got any book or online guide recommendations, please let me know (I'm working through the home extension manual by Ian Rock). 

Also trying to make many decisions early on and stick to them - so the kitchen layout is already finished (and I've finalized my plan on diy kitchens with the individual units to know where what goes and what sockets I'll need).

I'm still to hire a builder, but waiting for planning permission before I go to market. My hubby is fairly skilled in decorating, so he'll put down flooring & paint the walls. We will likely go with a good laminate for the dining room, sheet vinyl for the kitchen, and again laminate for upstairs (except the bathroom this will also be vinyl).

Anyway - you'll see me posting every now and then as this project continues. I do want to say thank you for all those offering up their knowledge in this forum to help out newbies like us!

Barbara & Thomas

Ground Floor Snapshot.png

First Floor Snapshot.png

Good morning and welcome, there are a number of useful books, The Self Build Manual, Self Build for Dummies and Self Build Bible (not sure i have the tiles exactly right). These give you a good background and insight into terminology and methods of construction etc.

Project managing a build is very similar to other projects ... its basically planning what you think/hope will happen and then firefighting while things do happen. Loads of great info on here if you search topics as you need to.

We PMd our new build with zero prior experience.

It was made easier by having two major contracts - one for groundworks inc. basement and one for the timber frame - between these two all the critical structural details were covered.

The remainder was choosing and scheduling follow on trades & suppliers for windows, roofing, exterior cladding and then the first fix, boarding & plastering, joinery, decorating, tiling, second fix, kitchen etc.

We sourced the 'visible' materials ourselves but deferred to the trades for their standard supply & fit items.

If you're hiring a single builder to execute the project and they will in turn be providing subs etc then the majority of work will likely be taken care of and you'll be ensuring what's being built is as specified and be on hand to make quick decisions when there is ambiguity.

You won’t find the management side much different Most builders work from spreadsheets It’s just a case of making sure everything is ordered well in advance 

As lead times are quite lengthy for most things 

Thank you for all the advice - much appreciated! I think I'll have a look at the "for dummies" book... they tend to be really good in other areas.

@Bitpipe reason we are looking to self manage is to reduce cost - and that's what's keeping me from a main contractor so far but will get quotes and see if there's a reasonable one for that route. I've seen some horrible quotes from friends where the builder was clearly having a laugh (quoted 12k GBP for a bifold kitchen door (found the door with the required specs online for 4500 GBP inclusive of VAT...) and 1500 + vat for a garage door.

@nod I guess what I need is a list of materials needed, but I may get this from my architect. I'm very good at making sure things are in the right place at the right time - just need to know what those things are, skills required and tasks that need to be completed.

Your best FREE advise will be from your trades 

Most will be happy to do you a list of what they need and also tell you what needs to be done before they start