Air Quality Monitor/Sensor

MortarThePoint

I am interested in getting an air quality monitor, to include a CO2 meter. Can anyone recommend one? It would be good if it could measure:

• CO2
  • Particulates (e.g. PM2.5)
  • Temperature
  • Humidity

Even better if it could log these, failing that Max/Min would be good as well.

I have found various on Amazon, but they aren't particularly popular. This one was so cheap I have bought it to take a look, but am very dubious given the low cost:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085DJQRY1/

I'd be keen to get one I would trust a bit more though.

This has been talked about before and without making something bespoke there seems to be little available on the market that represents quality / accuracy at an affordable price. 

13 minutes ago, Cpd said:

This has been talked about before and without making something bespoke there seems to be little available on the market that represents quality / accuracy at an affordable price. 

Thanks, I've started looking at various sensor modules so may end up with a bespoke system

Just now, PeterW said:

What is your budget ..? For something that does that kit you’re probably £4-600 off the shelf. 

My budget is probably up to around £175. I don't need professional grade calibrated stuff, but I don't want junk (despite having just bought a £17 one ? )

Looks like I may have to make my own system which is a time sink but interesting. I'd buy something now rather than waiting to make something in a couple of years time.

9 minutes ago, Conor said:

Just an FYI, any air quality sensors I've worked (esp oxygen and organics) with in the past have been unreliable and require recalibrating or replacement annually.

Yes, that is a concern. I know there has been a lot of progress in gas sensors over the past 20 years and hoped that some would have filtered down to consumer grade products. I do see some interesting IR based CO2 sensor modules for around £20 and PM2.5 ones for around £30. That's probably what I would incorporate into a homebrew one.

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is there a purpose to what you want to do with it ..? Internal or external AQ..? 

You’re not having MVHR are you ..?

Yes internal AQ. We're not having MVHR but I am looking at PIV and/or dMEV and so there is scope to close the loop on air quality which MVHR would also allow. MVHR is obviously a more energy efficient approach, but we're exploring all of that on another thread.

5 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

I'm building a true CO2 meter based on the Sensirion SCD41 sensor with a Raspberry Pi.  It might also include the SGP40 VOC sensor.  

Screenshot_2021-05-29_at_07_51_25.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Nice. I've used their flow sensors before and know the company to be reputable which is important

19 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

Yes, that is a concern. I know there has been a lot of progress in gas sensors over the past 20 years and hoped that some would have filtered down to consumer grade products. I do see some interesting IR based CO2 sensor modules for around £20 and PM2.5 ones for around £30. That's probably what I would incorporate into a homebrew one.

Yes internal AQ. We're not having MVHR but I am looking at PIV and/or dMEV and so there is scope to close the loop on air quality which MVHR would also allow. MVHR is obviously a more energy efficient approach, but we're exploring all of that on another thread.

Have a look at the Sensirion SCD41 sensor - https://www.sensirion.com/en/environmental-sensors/carbon-dioxide-sensors/carbon-dioxide-sensor-scd4x/

8 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

I'm building a true CO2 meter based on the Sensirion SCD41 sensor with a Raspberry Pi.  It might also include the SGP40 VOC sensor.  

Screenshot_2021-05-29_at_07_51_25.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Nice. I've used their flow sensors before and know the company to be reputable which is important

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

It's nice and small and uses photoacoustic sensing principle, that's the development board sitting on my Apple keyboard

Edited by Adrian Walker