Costing

Makeitstop

Hi All,

Anyone got an opinion on what the joinery work may cost for a single story rear kitchen extension with details set out below.

Based in South Wales.

Dimensions are 6.3 metres wide by projection of 3.6 metres. It has a parapet roof (on three sides obviously) warm flat roof, fitted with two medium / large..ish rooflights or bank of modular lights like Velux or suchlike?..  Roof finish to be EPDM.

Any approx ideas on that.?

• 1 month later...

I'd suggest trying some cost-estimating sites as well as any comments here, as your design sounds fairly conventional.

I quite like the price calciators at whatprice.co.uk . There are others too.

I'd also comment that there may well be a far bigger variation (up !) in the cost of the kitchen itself over the cost of the extension ?. That seems to be something that happens like rain in Manchester.

Thanks for the response.

I was a little taken aback to be quoted approx £17k for the "joinery" in a fairly straightforward extension of dimensions above. The contruction is standard brick and block, and does NOT include any fitting of kitchen.

From what I can tell, I'm looking at roof structure and second fix bits such as skirting. 

How that translates into £17k + I dont know.

£17k is a pisstake mate. My chippie quote o/s Huntingdon for first & second fix (joists, roofs, doors etc) was £15k.  This was for 3 plots spanning 7,000 sq ft. Extension = pisstake I think in some trades minds.  But, then again they don't know if / when they are going to get paid on some of the private jobs so maybe premiums apply.

43 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

Thanks for the response.

I was a little taken aback to be quoted approx £17k for the "joinery" in a fairly straightforward extension of dimensions above. The contruction is standard brick and block, and does NOT include any fitting of kitchen.

From what I can tell, I'm looking at roof structure and second fix bits such as skirting. 

How that translates into £17k + I dont know.

I think at this  time I would say get a couple of others quotes, and if you find yourself waiting more than 3 months repeat the exercise.

Timber has shot up in price - in some cases by 50-100% - and will come back down at some time. We all hope. But it is all variable. eg:

image.thumb.png.373d4799a0aeca99a41354e7cea90ce2.png

Yes Faz, that was my thinking.

The point of my initial question was to gauge opinions on the level of pisstaking, which I felt was monumental.

The overall quote from this guy was Circa £42K + VAT on an extension of 6.3m X 3.5m. This does not include large (3m) sliding door, window or rooflight and does not include even any foundations, as I need to get it piled and RC beam.

It did make me chuckle to be fair.

@ Ferdinand..... Yeh, I know timber has risen in price, but I am thinking he's likely to be using softwood on it, not Madagascan rosewood or ebony. 

To my mind, it said to me... " I don't need the work mate, but here's a price for you." 

Edited by Makeitstop

I had four pitched roof dormers done last year for less than half that. This was before the madness of timber prices at the moment, but even so. This was by one bloke on his own, with me as assistant for lifting the tripled up timbers into position. We had prices similar to yours from fancier building firms (who would have just contracted the work back out to one bloke anyway!)