Lead Valley Replacement

No, best thing to do is nothing! Is it leaking? 

you should specify what you want 

if it was mine I would want lead to LDA standard, should last 80 to 100 years 

it is possible to piece in a new bit of leas with overlaps.

stick on solutions will only be a temporary fix.

I could letterbox in a small tongue of lead that would last 15 to 20 yrs but that would be a ‘bodge job’ 

I can’t really see your crack but I hav seen it all before, lead should be laid in sections 1.5m possibly 1.8m long with overlaps 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

No, best thing to do is nothing! Is it leaking? 

you should specify what you want 

if it was mine I would want lead to LDA standard, should last 80 to 100 years 

it is possible to piece in a new bit of leas with overlaps.

stick on solutions will only be a temporary fix.

I could letterbox in a small tongue of lead that would last 15 to 20 yrs but that would be a ‘bodge job’ 

I can’t really see your crack but I hav seen it all before, lead should be laid in sections 1.5m possibly 1.8m long with overlaps 

Thanks Tony - yes it is leaking. I have been advised by a roofer to take out the Lead and use Leadax instead (he said he can do it all-in for £800 with a 5 year guarantee). He said Leadax is a long term permanent replacement to lead. I'm not sure as never heard of it before. I will show another picture with the crack and a temp fix someone did. He guaranteed it would last but started leaking again after a few months so now looking for a long-term fix

j00008978858_zgmxnq3h_t.png

IMG-20201116-WA0000.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Not as bad or urgent as I was dreading 

It is a very very bad idea to stick Flashband over the top of lead and worse to go on top of the slates too! 

do nothing ! 

temporaty fix would be to slide a piece of Flashband in under the slate 50/50 over the crack and 10mm too long at the end of the crack. 

proper job, weld a piece of lead over it, replace valley in new lead , it should be done in sections 1.5 to 1.8m long code 5 lead to allow for thermal expansion 

LDA = Lead Development Association 

Thanks Tony really appreciate it. I was told the only fix was replacing the entire valley. However, you reckon it can be fixed by welding a piece of lead over the crack without replacing the entire valley - thanks for pointing that out. If that can last a few good years I probably get that done and then in a 5 years get the valley replaced when I was planning to do the entire roof.

I’d be taking out a few of those slates and then cutting out where the crack is. New lead under the top section and over the bottom, overlap by about 100mm or so and then relay the slates

That is a very shallow valley - is it a sarked

roof out of interest ..?? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’d be taking out a few of those slates and then cutting out where the crack is. New lead under the top section and over the bottom, overlap by about 100mm or so and then relay the slates

Thanks - don't think it is sarked but have never seen it up close so not sure

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

The roof pitch looks decent i.e. over 30 degrees. If the shallow valley lead work a consequence of a single valley board bridging over the deeper underlying V where the rafters intersect?

Thermal expansion creep crack, will continue to grow and eventually Tracy right across the sheet. I would cut it square ti the valley right across and insert a piece as PW 300mm long 150mm up under and 150mm down over the top. It might be possible to slide it up under the slates each side without removing them. Normally I would copper nail the sides and top edges.