Non MCS Solar Pv installation

Stones

I'm considering installing Solar PV, but due to the recent cut in FITs, I am looking at a non MCS installation (to reduce capital outlay).  To try and establish whether this was possible, I contacted my DNO, to find out what the procedure would be to connect to the grid. Sadly, the response was limited, advising that only MCS accredited installers could make a G83 connection.  When pressed, they referred me to the ENA (Energy Network Association).  Thankfully, the ENA knew what they were talking about and confirmed the following -

"You will need to comply with the ER G83/2 a copy is attached. ER G83/2 is a qualifying standard to the GB Distribution Code.

Attached File  ENA_ER_G83_Issue_2_(2012).pdf   634.08K   0 downloads

For a single generator below or equal to 3.68kW then you can connect this without the permission of the DNO but you must by law inform the DNO of the connection within 28 days of commissioning the generator.

There is not a requirement to use MCS installers in G83 or D Code but you must use type tested equipment. A list of such equipment can be found here - http://www.ena-eng.o...peTestRegister/

Where you decide to connect a inverter that is not on the list then you will need to comply with ER G59/3-2 as that equipment will be classed as non type tested.

I would expect the installation to be installed by a competent registered electrician.

To qualify as an electrician, you need an industry-recognised level 3 qualification, such as:

*Level 3 (NVQ) Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Maintenance) *Level 3 (NVQ) Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems & Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment)

The competent electrician will also have to sign of the relevant installation forms as prescribed by the building regulations and the model forms can be found in the Wiring Regulations BS 7671. These forms must be made available to the owner and retained on the property and made available when required for inspection by the relevant authorities eg HSE.

I would also advise compliance with Part 712 of BS7671 - Solar photovoltaic
(PV) power supply systems.

If you still wish to export to the grid then you will need to discuss this with your supplier. Not sure what there stance is with regards to non MCS installations. DNOs do not arrange or fit metering."

So, for those considering this way of installing PV, it seems simple enough if you install type tested equipment, which the vast majority of self install PV kit currently available is, then all you need is a qualified electrician to do the final connection, and to inform the DNO of what you have done.

Edited by Stones
  • Like 2

Thank you, very much indeed. I was going round and round this particular desert without getting anywhere.  You've saved me from wasting even more time.

PS, the link to the document above is dead,  so here is the correct link ( correct as at May 2016)

Edited by recoveringacademic
added the correct link

I think more and more will be going down this route, indeed by thr time I get to fit my solar PV I expect the FIT will have gone altogether.

I would add two things to consider:

Firstly, you are no longer interested in aligning all the panels for optimum yield. Getting a useable output for more of the day will be my priority, so I plan to start with one string of panels facing just a few degrees south of East, to start generating as early as posible, with a second string facing due south. I might try and later add a third string facing west as well.  This will give a lower total generation, but should give a more even and useful generation throughout the day and more chance of self usage.

Secondly I think some form of battery storage will be essential as well. I am watching more and more offerings coming to the market and it will be interesting to see what is available in a couple of years time.

I can't disagree with anything you say.  My initial thoughts would be to size the array such that i could use virtually everything I generate, so a 1.5 - 2 kWp system, which I could subsequently add to when battery storage becomes a financially realistic option.