Progressive mixer experience)

Title says it all really - I was wondering if anyone had any real world experience (good/bad/indifferent) with progressive mixer taps? These taps control all temp and flow in a single movement. They start cold, increase flow, then mix hot into full flow, then end up full flow  full hot. 

I can’t work out whether this is intuitive and useful in practice or is confusing compared to standard 3 axis mixers. They make for a nicer looking tap in my opinion but form over function is useless!

I have used that sort of mixer on a shower and I hate them. You do not always want full flow.  I would think that would be even more irritating for hand washing having to have full flow all the time.  Flow and temperature should be separate settings.

I love our shower mixer. the temperature is set to a comfortable level and we rarely touch that, we just turn it on or off at any flow rate desired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

I have used that sort of mixer on a shower and I hate them. You do not always want full flow.  I would think that would be even more irritating for hand washing having to have full flow all the time.  Flow and temperature should be separate settings.

I love our shower mixer. the temperature is set to a comfortable level and we rarely touch that, we just turn it on or off at any flow rate desired.

Thanks, that’s good insight. Also sounds like they would fall foul of the guest test by not performing with expected behaviour. I wonder why they seem so prevalent right now in my searches right now, I’ve never come across them before. 

Very harsh if you have anything near good cold mains pressure / flow, and so much so, that you often have to fit flow reducers to throttle down the 'minimum' flow rate, particularly when using the handset vs the rainfall head. For rainfall only, not so problematic, but I just cannot find a reason to ever choose one of these tbh.  

• Thanks 1

Was looking mainly at taps with these,  not showers. Was interested in if they were any better than standard 3 axis mixer taps. Sounds like they are to be avoided.