Thrashing out a threshold

Digging out the drain ( threshold drain) for the footpath to our front door  made me look again at an issue that I should have thought about years ago: since there's an EPS300  block keeping the side of the  slab  warm,

• what am I going to put in the gap between the threshold drain and the front door?

Have a look;

slotdrain.jpg.525b4554204988d733f91cd4a782d5be.jpg

The red elipse is the area that concerns me: its 120mm wide. It concerns me because I can't  fix anything to it can I?  Or can I ?

Ideally, I'd like something like this, but as the image shows, there's a nice hardwood threshold which - presumably is fixed to summat underneath.

I note that the wooden threshold has a drip channel which is more suited to woodlice in search of a good night's sleep ... but thats not the issue.

slotdrain1.jpg.c8bbf13f806d803ccbccdc61e34b15cf.jpg

(image stolen fair and square from Wavin https://www.externalworksindex.co.uk/entry/34545/Wavin/Threshold-drains/ )

What I need is a cunning plan. Have you got one?

I'm in exactly the same position. Architect suggested extended door sill all the way out... But I don't think the EPS will take the abuse. I'm thinking of losing 100mm of the EPS and filling with concrete down. It's not a major cold bridge...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Ahhhhh no, don't do it, the Cold Bridge Police will nab you.  

Doesn't building to a high standard really change your perspectives? Instead of 250mm thick insulation along a 1200mm strip, I'd have a mere 150mm. Unnaceptable!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like the outside slopes down towards the house! If there is a reasonable area of path up the slope then in a real down pour that slot drain probably won't cope and you will get water coming in the door. Might it be valuable to arrange it so the tile up to the door slopes down towards the drain and to lower the last few path slabs so it is level OR arrange a run off the path across wise so some of the water get directed elsewhere rather than channeled to the front door?

18 hours ago, Conor said:

....  I'm thinking of losing 100mm of the EPS and filling with concrete down. It's not a major cold bridge...

About 3:00am. this morning, bright awake, bolt upright and grinning,  the significance of  @Conor's post finally got through my sludgy psyche.  Thank you @Conor

I still have some of these bad boys on the stillage: we had to order them in cases of 12 - so some are left over.

20200914_085932.thumb.jpg.e4f367020284001a9da6803a4be4a3f6.jpg

@Conor suggests digging out the EPS and sticking concrete in instead to support the threshold finish (tiles / wood / plastic / metal) .

Well, how about dropping these Perinsul blocks in as a foundation for the threshold?

I suppose I'll have to encase those in concrete to hold them in place, though ...... ? I'll have to design it in such a way that the blocks are held firmly in place, and then top those off with something that will allow me to fix the tiles in place.

Or is it possible to fix (say a sheet of marine ply or similar) directly into the Perinsul blocks?

Is it too late to get the Door frame over the EPS upstand, and aligned with the insulation?

We used a 9.5mm thick GRP L Section (www.steponsafety.co.uk), sitting on top of the EPS upstand to support the door and window frames.

Ours was put in before the slab pour, but they could be fitted after.

image.thumb.png.5e1201374ebbc4e9eb77c5cc58efa694.png

This threshold is within a covered porch, so we went without the drain, but did tip the outside surface away from the opening by 1°.

• Like 1