plug in solar

Lee66

Hi all, I know little about various solar set-ups but have been considering have some to assist with electricity costs and doing my bit for the planet.

I notice whilst reading different topics on here mention of a plug in system. I can see from some websites that they obviously dont give a feed in tariff but

a 2 kw system at £2.5k seems good value. What are your opinions on this type of system and anyone have something similar running? Thanks

There is no FIT any more, that finished (for new applicants) a couple of years ago.

So any solar PV you install now is for your own use.  If you pay the premium and pay for an MCS install, and have a smart meter, you might qualify for a mere 5p per kWh exported.

So just buy te cheapest you can and get an electrician to install it.  You should be able to get a 4Kw system for that.  Keep an eye on ebay, you may be lucky and find a complete system for sale near you.

I bought a GSE-based system from them and the pricing and buying experience were both good.

edit: I shoulf say tho do ask for a quote as the website isn't that up-to-date.

Edited by dpmiller

Not sure what a plug in system is, there used to be a wind turbine that plugged into a suitable ringmain in a house, but they were a disaster.

All PV systems work the same. A module to catch the sun's photons, an inverter to condition the electricity, and a load.

It is the load that is the tricky part, but you do have control of that.

First thing to find out is if you have unnecessary loads running i.e an old desktop computer in 24/7.

Then see if you can reduce load i.e raise fridge and freezer temps a little bit.

Then look at your lifestyle and decide if you can use more electrical load between 10AM and 2PM.  This assumes a Southern facing module array, East or West of South and you start earlier or later.

Then look at your water heating. If you have instantaneous water heating i.e a gas combi or an electrical shower, then you cannot store excess solar without changing the system to one with a storage cylinder.

Then remember there is a difference between power and energy. First us kW and second in kWh.