Strip footing and eps slab for timber frame?

DragsterDriver

1 hour ago, Gus Potter said:

Hi Dragster.

You may be over thinking this. Often a standard perimeter edge insulation for a slab is say 25mm thick. If you want you could increase the slab edge insulation to just behind the inner face of the finished plasteboard. Use a good quality say PIR insulation.. looks like you could get 75mm in here.

Yes, you may get a little reduced performance but you will face structural issues on how you tie the kit down. Keep it simple and decouple the kit from the slab structurally and insultaion wise. Simplify the design, thus make savings which will allow you to offset any percieved reduced performance at the slab kit interface elsewhere.

overthinking is the home of the internet!

you’re quite right- I could lap 50/75 easy enough. I don’t want passivhaus standard just very good :) a raft would be better tbh but strip foundation is quickest :) 

Edited by DragsterDriver

Hi Dragster Driver.

@DragsterDriver "waiting on planning permission and then turnaround time on a slab design and delivery could be financially crippling- I really do need to ‘hit the ground running’. I have easy access to plant and groundworkers/bricklayers who owe me favours"

Is there more to this? just had a scan at your drawing. Seems like you have a simple raft but a suspended floor over.

What do you know about the ground? It may be that your SE does not know that you have these construction contacts and this may have swayed them towards the raft as the most economic based on the info available to them.

It could be that if you can call in favours that suit, you can excavate deep strips, get the muck away cheep, do a trench fill strip found all over and cart on?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

Hi Dragster Driver.

@DragsterDriver "waiting on planning permission and then turnaround time on a slab design and delivery could be financially crippling- I really do need to ‘hit the ground running’. I have easy access to plant and groundworkers/bricklayers who owe me favours"

Is there more to this? just had a scan at your drawing. Seems like you have a simple raft but a suspended floor over.

What do you know about the ground? It may be that your SE does not know that you have these construction contacts and this may have swayed them towards the raft as the most economic based on the info available to them.

It could be that if you can call in favours that suit, you can excavate deep strips, get the muck away cheep, do a trench fill strip found all over and cart on?

Morning!

I think that was somebody else’s drawings? The site has footings already in place for the previous potton home that was never built- I was hoping to raft over the top of them for ease of build. 

excuse the sleepy sketch but it’s a U shape bungalow, you can see the main road behind which has an embankment and the original founds had pad and ringbeam

along that elevation. If I can buy the insulated sections uncut I’d still have a raft design with the flexibility to alter footprint slightly if needed :) 

3AB4A074-B66D-4DE1-AA40-16A04AD47DAC.jpeg

Have you tried Advanced Foundation Technology, and their Groundshield products?

My experience with them is they turned the Drawings and Structural calcs around very quickly. The EPS sheets and preformed sections come from Derbyshire I believe. They'll install all over the UK as well as "supply only".

If you supply your own ground workers and just have Olof onsite for the Install and pour (incl. UFH), costs are very competitive.

• Like 1