A live-in builder/contractor?

I am a young guy who is not a tradesman, but I can graft and pickup things fast.

I am fixing up a cottage in a remote part of the UK.

It takes time to travel there as its not easy to get to.

I have spoken with builders and other people to do work, but they are put off by the remoteness of the job.

Which leaves me in a predicament.

Work on it by myself with local help (unskilled), or get builders who are expensive to come and work on the site.

I have been thinking though, surely there are some old builders out there or retired people who would like to consult over a long period?

The location is beautiful, if that is a selling point.

Do you think anyone would be interested in this, any ideas where I could find someone up for the task?

IMG_20180427_204535.thumb.jpg.8f226e2ef048d89fa05bc2290853c659.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69c

Edited by idontknowwhatiamdoing

53 minutes ago, idontknowwhatiamdoing said:

I am a young guy who is not a tradesman, but I can graft and pickup things fast.

I am fixing up a cottage in a remote part of the UK.

It takes time to travel there as its not easy to get to.

I have spoken with builders and other people to do work, but they are put off by the remoteness of the job.

Which leaves me in a predicament.

Work on it by myself with local help (unskilled), or get builders who are expensive to come and work on the site.

I have been thinking though, surely there are some old builders out there or retired people who would like to consult over a long period?

The location is beautiful, if that is a selling point.

Do you think anyone would be interested in this, any ideas where I could find someone up for the task?

IMG_20180427_204535.thumb.jpg.8f226e2ef048d89fa05bc2290853c659.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69cimageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69c

Hello Idont..

Cracking post. Is that long beach one of the Scottish Islands? It almost looks like a bit of Tiree/ Glensanda way with the whiter sand.

As a word of encouragement you will get plenty pointers / advice here from folk that have embarked on this kind of journey. A lot of folk will also make mention of the mistakes they made in the spirit of BH.

To get the best out of this then you may wish to post more info. Island location.. ferries etc or just off the beaten track.

"Do you think anyone would be interested in this, any ideas where I could find someone up for the task?"

Yes, but you to need to give more info to get a focused response. This basic info will set out your practical options.

Have you got any suitable accommodation? I have seen working holidays for young people but not sure how that is organised. You might struggle to attract experienced trades but you could get a few pair of extra hands in exchange for somewhere to stay in an attractive location.

Look up Woofers.  They provide labour for free in return for board and lodgings.  I doubt any will be builders, but I know someone that built most of his house with his own labour and some Woofers.

Your approximate location would help?  Mainland or remote island?

I built half my property with volunteers, they are not experienced but if you know what your doing and can manage people / are a people person then it’s a great way to get loads of the unskilled graft done. You need to provide good food and reasonable accommodation. If this is the route you decide to take then I’m happy to provide more information through pm or phone call.