Trellis wire and fixings

Oz07

Whats the way to fix garden wire to wooden posts to grow a climber up?

Posts are every 6ft with a run of around 11m. I want horizontal wires at around 150mm centres

I thought vine eyes at each end and staples on the 6 or so intermediate posts. How do i tension the wire or keep it taught while putting it up? Any tips so I don't make a mess of it...

1 minute ago, Oz07 said:

was hoping to get away with vine eyes and staples!

Use big galv staples. Don't knock the staples all the way in. Do as per my sketch but include a turnbuckle for periodic tensioning. Even if you run out of adjustment on the turnbuckle you can adjust at the wire rope grips and wind the turnbuckle back.

32 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

was hoping to get away with vine eyes and staples!

Im thinking if i pull taught before knocking the staples home on the posts all should be good?

Go and talk to a local farmer - 5 minutes and he'll show you how to just use the leverage on fencing pliers to pull plain galvanised fencing wire dead tight, with no need for anything other than staples.  If I had the means I'd make a video, as it's really quite easy to do, and relies on the partly hammered home staple next to where your tensioning gripping the wire enough to hold it tight.  Bit of a knack, but cheap and easy.  If you don't have anyone to show you how to do it with just fencing pliers, then get a tensioner, like a gripple, along with the pliers.  That way you can tension the wire with one hand and bang the staple all the way home with the other.

Edited by JSHarris
typo, "had" when I meant "hand"

46 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

That's sheer genius @Onoff. It's genius because it's also easy to take down: loosen 6 bolts and that's it. 

First time I've been called that! Usually it's "idiot" or "pervert". :)

My only issue would be if upon tensioning it you pulled the staples out. So use chunky vine eyes at the end & BFO staples on the intermediates and don't bang all the way in. Leave say a 1/4" gap between u/side of staple and the wood. Screwed in vine eyes at each location because of the screw would obviously be more secure but more expensive.

OK, cheap & staple-less:

fence_002.thumb.jpg.af32eaa95a0091fa8607be683b36d852.jpg

Ideally you want to radius where the wires go thru to give it a chance to tension up and slide thru the holes rather than bite into the wood.

A bit like I did on the spiral staircase handrails up the kid's tree house:

Drill the posts before putting them in the ground. Then see if you can find some good old fashioned creosote!

2017-02-24_05-31-06

Edited by Onoff

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2017 at 17:40, Onoff said:

OK, cheap & staple-less:

fence_002.thumb.jpg.af32eaa95a0091fa8607be683b36d852.jpg

Ideally you want to radius where the wires go thru to give it a chance to tension up and slide thru the holes rather than bite into the wood.

A bit like I did on the spiral staircase handrails up the kid's tree house:

Drill the posts before putting them in the ground. Then see if you can find some good old fashioned creosote!

2017-02-24_05-31-06

of course the bit of the post that needs the creosote is mainly the bit that goes underground !

25 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

of course the bit of the post that needs the creosote is mainly the bit that goes underground !

Indeed. I seem to remember a Tomorrow's World years ago where someone came up with a "Sparklet" powered preservative injector. They were going around Scotland fitting the things to telegraph poles to improve their longevity.