Site insurance question when using 1 main contractor

Dan1983

Evening all,

Our new build project starts this month, and we are just finalising the 10 year structural warranty with Build Zone.

I have also been asked if we require site insurance?

We are using one main contractor/ builder that is owning the entire project from start to finish.

Items such as cover for temporary buildings/ tools on site etc I would assume are down to the builder?

The main items making me think we need it are for the public liability and event of an injury on site as we own the land?

The other factor is covering theft of materials etc although this is fairly unlikely where we live.

Do most opt for this insurance if using a main contractor? 

Its £700 so won’t break the bank but would rather save it if the builders normal insurance would cover most items apart from theft of materials 

many thanks for any pointers 

You do need public liability insurance and to cover your new building As soon as you start covering plant and tools your premiums rocket 

A basic liability and building cover will be much cheaper 

Let your builder take responsibility for materials and plant 

I daughter that he’s insurance will cover materials and tools 

Builder we're likely to go with is member of the Fed of Master Bldrs
Includes all risks insurance, public liability, employer's liability. Includes client as insured under "indemnity to principals" clause.

Only risks remaining with us at the site and for the build are
a) something caused by our negligence
b) something caused by the work, but not as a result of negligence by anyone

c) default by the builder for any reason

Writing that down helped clarify what we need to do insurance-wise

I am looking into Site Insurance at present as the build is due to start in 10 days.

As the build is within the boundaries of our current home I am going to check if the current policy will cover us for Liability which is my main concern. 

Hi Dan, you might also check whether the site insurance covers your structure. I have just taken out site insurance with protek and it covers me for the structure. So if for example my house is 95% built and it burns down, floods or a tree falls on it etc etc, then it covers the reinstatement cost. Unless the builder was negligent of course and in which case would be on them.

So I guess the insurance is part third party risks but also is an equivalent to  home buildings insurance which of course you can't get on a part built empty property through normal channels.

Edited by Andy brown

Thanks Andy,

going to give the broker a call and see if protek can drop off the tool insurance and temporary building cover and just leave in place the liability and building cover as you mentioned.

will report back!