Suggestions for a weird corner?

On 05/04/2021 at 03:15, puntloos said:

- The door (to utility) can be anywhere. 

Hmm, if that's the case will you not get a better result by moving the door towards the left corner so that you have a straight run of the units on the left, then a passage to the utility, then another run of the units including the fridge on the bottom side, all the way to the living room wall, but possibly less deep? No space wasting corners. 

@oldkettleand @SteamyTea advising me on hot water. I've got a crack team here! ;)

Hmm, if that's the case will you not get a better result by moving the door towards the left corner so that you have a straight run of the units on the left, then a passage to the utility, then another run of the units including the fridge on the bottom side, all the way to the living room wall, but possibly less deep? No space wasting corners. 

Agreed that the straight run has some benefits, frankly I can't even quite remember why we figured moving the door towards the livingroom was better. Shuffleshuffle. 

@SteamyTea so you're suggesting a standing cylinder in that cupboard, perhaps lifted 40cm off the floor so it can be accessed easily?

10 minutes ago, puntloos said:

you're suggesting a standing cylinder in that cupboard, perhaps lifted 40cm off the floor so it can be accessed easily?

If it can be made to work, why not.

Will there be room for a buffet tank and expansion vessel?

Regarding your hit water, how often do you think you will need all of it in a short space of time?

And would boosting with s 3 or 6 kW immersion get you out of a hole if you have guests.

Are you having PV diverted to the DHW?

Edited by SteamyTea

15 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If it can be made to work, why not.

Will there be room for a buffet tank and expansion vessel?

Depends on their size I suppose? 

Looking at https://www.gledhill.net/products/alternative-energy/stainlesslite-heat-pump/ - and speaking to the manufacturer, they say it should fit fine in 647x750 (pipes/gizmos sticking out in front) lifted 100 off the ground.  That leaves about 530(h)x650x650 right above it. Alternatively, we do have the actual under-stairs cupboard (but with the challenge that the pocket door needs to be able to close!)

cylinder.thumb.png.79688a8f45b7dc68430b0e2e4c16cbcb.png

Note: I left *zero* wall between the kitchen unit and the cylinder. This will surely mean that kitchen unit will be warmer-than-normal but as long as nothing heat-sensitive is stored in such a cupboard that should be okay? Or?

Regarding your hit water, how often do you think you will need all of it in a short space of time?

Define 'short' really. Sometimes I treat myself to one big bath (1h?) and a longish shower afterwards (15m?) (sorry eco-police.. it's rare, I promise). 

And would boosting with s 3 or 6 kW immersion get you out of a hole if you have guests.

True.

Ha, no idea, I assumed PV (being Photo Voltaic) meant they don't also do hot water, but in short sure, if my panels generate water as well then might-as-well?

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Has anyone ever considered:

https://my.dualsun.com/wp-content/uploads/DualSun-EN-Datasheet-Spring-300-310Wp.pdf

Here's a calculation they gave out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ex49pbclIv6vHSOF92YFBzXncKI_pw5S/view?usp=sharing

(note a smallish roof size, my roof is somewhat weird (crown roof) - so flat on top, which I'm assuming is unused.)

They claim to do both with the same panel. I imagine perhaps they are terrible at both? Can someone who reads photovoltaic or photothermal take a look?

Edited by puntloos

4 hours ago, puntloos said:

Define 'short'

It is the amount of energy in the water that needs replacing, not time playing in it.

4 hours ago, puntloos said:

I assumed PV (being Photo Voltaic) meant they don't also do hot water,

You can get an electrical diverter that pushed the current to the immersion heater.  Probably the most effective thing you can do to save money (apart from buying a washing line an dumping the tumble dryer).

A SunAmp is always a possibility, but not sure how well the integrate with a ASHP these days).

If it is easier, can't you use the utility/bike rooms.

I used to live in Hertfordshire, mate sent me a video of snow falling this afternoon.

Edited by SteamyTea