Flooring and threshold issue

Hi,

We had an extension built on the back of our house, knocked through to the existing, so floor is part original floor boards and part concrete on the new part.

The issue is that the large patio doors were supposed to have a threshold of 25mm but the window company measured it incorrectly and we have been left with a threshold of 11mm.

I really wanted engineered wood or real wood flooring but with the floor prep etc it would all come above the 11mm threshold.

Is there a solution to this? I have seen some at 10mm but doesnt leave much wriggle room and the best ones seem to be 14mm or over.

Some have suggested a matt well (which looks horrible).

Is there anything that can be done that looks decent?  Can the floor go down straight on the concrete area without any underlay and kind of go down at a slight angle from the area with the original wooden floors?

Otherwise I'm left with LVT which after looking at a zillion samples I really don't want.

Thanks

If these are sliding patio doors, can you just have a 50mm wide transition piece from the (say) 18mm wood floor down to the 10mm threshold?  You may find the flooring supplier will do one or know someone who can machine it.

image.png.b91119eda4d5c149c3f5327008a05e1b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

If these are sliding patio doors, can you just have a 50mm wide transition piece from the (say) 18mm wood floor down to the 10mm threshold?  You may find the flooring supplier will do one or know someone who can machine it.

image.png.b91119eda4d5c149c3f5327008a05e1b.png

Thanks. Would that look ok? I have googled and everything I see is from floor to floor. I will look again.

1 hour ago, nod said:

Is it to late to reject these doors 

It should be the window companies problem Not yours 

The doors were installed in January, the builder mentioned they were wrong at the time but I didn't really understand the consequences of that until now, as everything was slowed down due to Covid. 

How do I prove it? The builder drew a line at the 25mm and I was here on my own when they fitted them and they left saying they have got them as high as they possibly could. 

Maybe I should call them on Tuesday as I really didn't realise the consequences of this.

2 minutes ago, Gina_Violet said:

Thanks. Would that look ok? I have googled and everything I see is from floor to floor. I will look again.

Definitely worth a try 

2 minutes ago, Gina_Violet said:

The doors were installed in January, the builder mentioned they were wrong at the time but I didn't really understand the consequences of that until now, as everything was slowed down due to Covid. 

How do I prove it? The builder drew a line at the 25mm and I was here on my own when they fitted them and they left saying they have got them as high as they possibly could. 

Maybe I should call them on Tuesday as I really didn't realise the consequences of this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/04/2021 at 16:12, Gina_Violet said:

Otherwise I'm left with LVT which after looking at a zillion samples I really don't want.

Have you considered Pergo laminate flooring. It is probably the best laminate plank out there that is the best approximation to real wood. Go to the pergo website and request samples - they are all free, even postage. It costs about £30 a square metre and even comes in wide plank if you like that. It will basically look like a brand new wooden floor for the life of the product. The only way you can tell it is not real wood is that it is slightly colder to the touch to real wood and it obviously doesn't "age" in the way wood does. It comes in hundreds of varieties/colours/widths/finishes so you will definitely find something that you like aesthetically. The one we went for in our last place was 9.5mm thick and required an underlay of about 2mm. Really easy to install too. 

I was going to install it in my new place but the architect keeps banging on at me that for a house that I plan to live in for the rest of my life I should really get a product that will "age beautifully". Pergo basically doesn't age. It's virtually indestructable. We once thought it scratched, but it was actually the leg of a plastic chair that had scratched off onto the pergo. Easily cleaned off with a damp cloth.

Due to an error we have a 12mm step down from engineered wood on the landing to the stone floor in our bathroom. We fitted a strip of wood with a small bevel to cover the exposed edge. Works well. Dont think anyone has ever tripped on it..

20210426_215811.thumb.jpg.443c4547eb6a2060100a5b5e339accd6.jpg