Working platform certificate for piling

eandg

Anyone got any experience of this? I see it's required of the principal contractor which I guess will be me... piling mat to be specified by piling contractor and designed by engineer with groundworks carrying out the works. Can/should I try and pass on responsibility for this to the groundworker? Is it onerous, will it be covered by insurance or require this separately etc?

9 hours ago, eandg said:

.... Can/should I try and pass on responsibility for this to the groundworker?...

We documented our groundworker building our piling mat by taking video and photos of its construction. There was never any discussion of a certificate. 

9 hours ago, eandg said:

... Is it onerous, will it be covered by insurance or require this separately etc?

Our insurance (self-build insurance) specifically excluded  '... defective design, plan and specification, materials or workmanship...' , so I asked to see a summary of  the Piling company's insurance.

Working Platform Certificate is basically a quality assurance document specific to piling.

It was introduced to pass responsibility back to say the piling layout and requirements have been met to support the specified building/loads required.

Your groundworker is unlikely to take responsibility for the piling works unless thats in their package, and the piling contractor cannot say that the ring beam or slab has been correctly installed and connected to the piles.

2 hours ago, markc said:

Working Platform Certificate is basically a quality assurance document specific to piling.

It was introduced to pass responsibility back to say the piling layout and requirements have been met to support the specified building/loads required.

Your groundworker is unlikely to take responsibility for the piling works unless thats in their package, and the piling contractor cannot say that the ring beam or slab has been correctly installed and connected to the piles.

I think this is just for the piling mat, nothing to do with the buildings.  This is just temporary works to support the rig, concrete lorries etc.  I would bat this back to the piling contractor as the OP is not in a position to take design responsibility for this.  You don't want the rig falling over and finding it is down to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I think this is just for the piling mat, nothing to do with the buildings.  This is just temporary works to support the rig, concrete lorries etc.  I would bat this back to the piling contractor as the OP is not in a position to take design responsibility for this.  You don't want the rig falling over and finding it is down to you.

The contractor doesn't do the mat design though - that's our responsibility. We've agreed they'll approve it in advance but in the meantime it looks like someone needs to sign off this certificate.

3 minutes ago, eandg said:

The contractor doesn't do the mat design though - that's our responsibility. We've agreed they'll approve it in advance but in the meantime it looks like someone needs to sign off this certificate.

Ask them to suggest who that "someone" should be.  Tell them that you know nothing about it and are relying on their knowledge, help and advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1