Screeding or wall plastering, which first?

epsilonGreedy

I have been watching some videos on traditional sand/cement floor screeding and noticed many of the properties already have finished plastered walls as the screed is laid.. For some reason these videos are Irish in origin, so maybe wall plastering before floor screeding is a local convention in that part of the British Isles.

Most plasters tend to be a little on the larger side and don't like bending down to their toes. If you do this first then your wall won't tend to curve out at the bottom when the screed goes in its much straighter.

Plus it's super messy so you don't want all them droppings hitting your nice new screed.

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The vast majority here are done with wet plaster as well. Very few use dot and dab.

We are about 70 30 here 

Nearly always screed firs especially when wet plastered 

We did screed first. Don't think it makes much difference. Depends what trades are available and when. 

Our builder spent a few days clearing up the house before inviting plasterers to come and quote. He said they were a fussy lot and it would be easier to get someone to do the job if it looked like we were all ready to go.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2021 at 14:38, Mr Punter said:

Also if you have UFH you can get the manifold onto a finished wall.

The neat positioning of the manifold is a future problem I am already thinking about. I see some photos of UFH pipes emerging chaotically from the floor screed. 

On 11/03/2021 at 21:06, PeterW said:

Screed first - if your boards are too low they can pick up moisture from the screed and swell. Can easily scrape snots off a screed floor. 

Edit: Skirting boards? Pleasure ignore question, these would be the plaster boards I assume.

Does the boundary expansion/insulation strip act help act as a moisture barrier?

Edited by epsilonGreedy

On 11/03/2021 at 14:56, nod said:

I prefer screed first Save having to put the boards on bricks 

Would I be correct in thinking the bricks provide a temporary platform that the plastboard sheets rest on while the dot & dab adhesive is drying?