Low profile bath trap

daiking

This joint has given way after 6 years, between the trap and the black waste pipe. 

Whilst trying to refit the trap it seems that the trap does not grip on the black pipe even when fully tight. 

The black pipe has longitudinal movement.  This could be new (loose clip on outside wall?) and this movement has allowed it to escape from the trap. The black pipe goes straight under the length of the bath through the wall and has a right angle joint outside where it exits.

Is there some sort of mix up between this pipe and trap meaning that it’s not gripping? It fits inside the compression fitting but just doesn’t tighten up.

60F56395-6EC7-4510-BEAE-B6FC94FE1994.jpeg

Edited by daiking

Sounds like that black pipe is the wrong size (too small diameter) or the rubber gland is not the right one. Can you measure the outside diameter of that black pipe?, is it solvent weld , push fit or compression?

• Like 1

Check that the black rubber taper ring hasnt got pushed inwards  , remove nut and put  on pipe , put on thrust washer  if supplied then tapered rubber on , thin edge to trap then assemble trap to bath with a smear of silicone on bath threads and tighten up then fit clip outside to hold pipe still

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Sounds like that black pipe is the wrong size (too small diameter) or the rubber gland is not the right one. Can you measure the outside diameter of that black pipe?, is it solvent weld , push fit or compression?

I’m not sure, I didn’t do it. I suspect the waste is solvent weld though.

8 minutes ago, riv990 said:

Check that the black rubber taper ring hasnt got pushed inwards  , remove nut and put  on pipe , put on thrust washer  if supplied then tapered rubber on , thin edge to trap then assemble trap to bath with a smear of silicone on bath threads and tighten up then fit clip outside to hold pipe still

I’ll fish out the black ring to have a look 

26 minutes ago, riv990 said:

Thanks. It had disappeared up the pipe. Seems to be holding now.

I couldn’t see it properly and those corners on the bath support are lethal...

7AD56666-8058-4A89-BAAE-EF7BD2172E1D.thumb.jpeg.ace888691d44467fd25d26c2b9da1d5e.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Christ!  nice simple job made a nightmare by that bath panel. I guess you needed arms like mr tickle to get in there! 

Yeah, I’m more Mr Clumsy.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TonyT said:

I’ve never seen black waste pipe used before!

we only  ever use solvent weld and only ever seen it in white.

is it common in England?

Yup... used to make the outdoor plumbing more subtle and classy...

image.jpeg.d966dc7d8e2cb5831f2c64bb4b693e19.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, daiking said:

Thanks. It had disappeared up the pipe. Seems to be holding now.

I couldn’t see it properly and those corners on the bath support are lethal...

7AD56666-8058-4A89-BAAE-EF7BD2172E1D.thumb.jpeg.ace888691d44467fd25d26c2b9da1d5e.jpeg

Reminds me of playing Tetris in the student bar - always hated that shape...

56 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Reminds me of playing Tetris in the student bar - always hated that shape...

When I first made the hole, it was more of a squat cross -II- shape. Didn’t have a multi tool and was too tricky at the time to use a jigsaw so close to the bath so had to chain drill, a lot, of holes. Had to add the top left part later for something. Might tidy it all up one day. Stupid idea of the wife who wanted the tile bath panel and I didn’t know how best to do it at the time.

I still don’t know how best to do it but at least I now know one way not to do it.