MOE barn conversion 1st floor

Oz07

Without wasting hours googling could someone please point me to the area of the regs which deals with MOE and the 1st floor of barn conversions please?

I see many places where they simply have roof windows and to me they don't look big enough or at the right height for MOE. The attached link is an example of a finished one. It's in the same block that a family member live and was covered by a large regional builder so guessing everything would of been designed to comply.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/3-scraptoft-hall/church-hill/scraptoft/leicester/le7-9tw/31594433/

Top hung Velux size M08 give sufficient to meet the regs. Note that it must be within a set distance from the eaves and have a sill no higher that a set distance from the floor. The latter is mitigated by forming steps up to it if necessary as the response above. These steps have to be fixed in position. We made ours as an independent unit that were screwed in place to wall and floor. Even the BCO joked about us being able to remove them once we were signed off, everyone does. The next time was a new build room in roof house. That had the same M08 Velux but brought to the outer wall with Velux VFE vertical elements beneath. The window board of that formed an acceptable step for the BCO.

We have had similar situations but could fulfil the regs with side hung casements with the right hinge types set in the gable ends. Most window catalogues have MOE or egress beside the model description. Velux technical has always been helpful when I have asked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timedout said:

Note that it must be within a set distance from the eaves and have a sill no higher that a set distance from the floor.

The eaves distance rule was removed a while ago from English and Welsh building regs but I think the Scottish regs retained it. It is now just the vertical height from the floor to the opening - not the cill - internally that is the regulation. 

Hi @Timedout what do you think to the photos in the link I posted. They haven't had steps removed but don't look to comply to me. I understand there are a lot of properties signed off which don't meet regs but seems strange to me with a national builder and NHBC sign off

16 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

@PeterW

Getting specific are you saying

height to underside reveal (knowing build up can be quite thick)?

height to bottom rail of roof window?

height to the bottom of opening where it clears the roof?

Open the window. Balance a spirit level on the highest part of the open frame and measure the vertical distance from the bottom of the level. That is the measurement. 

10 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Hi @Timedout what do you think to the photos in the link I posted. They haven't had steps removed but don't look to comply to me. I understand there are a lot of properties signed off which don't meet regs but seems strange to me with a national builder and NHBC sign off

What I can see in the ping pong room looks a bit high but the roof windows look the wrong shape. Consider though that estate agents use distorting cameras to make every room look huge. Appearances may deceive. On the outside photos those three roof windows grouped together can’t be MOE because they are centre pivot. Perhaps the rooms have other windows?