Comments on this quote?

goatcarrot

Basic rule of thumb is 10% for fees, but if it's a straightforward project it does sound a bit steep. Even with Passivhaus the details are standard now.

As always, three quotes and I'd get them to give an option only to planning stage, as if you haven;t decided on a build system you may go with a timber frame contractor and not need the Building Regs drawings.

19 minutes ago, Olf said:

If your site and house concept are easy, you could knock the planning drawings yourself.

I’d thought about doing that. Have you? 
what’s involved, presumably it doesn’t have to be in CAD, could be old fashioned technical scale drawing?

house concept is quite simple really to keep costs down. 
I see the PHPP software is only £160

I used a cowboy for the first phase (extension only) and it still passed. Knowing what I know now I'd save time and money then, so I'm sitting on the 2nd phase (EWI, porch, mancave, carport etc) myself.

Yes, any drawings that show general dimensions and materials used should work, although I find it easier and useful for other purposes when doing in a CAD (Qcad - free 2D in my case)

You can even make a 3D model out of card (or any other material you can shape easily), it may help you or planners to visualise.

Add few inches here and there to have some freedom to make little changes.

Past applications (including drawings) must be available on council website, go through what was build/modified around recently around you

Have you seen any of the designs this architect has previously done? Spoken to previous clients?

In my view £50/hour for a chartered architect given the training they have to complete is not bad at all. When we got proposals from architects for our project, prices came in at about £10k to £12k just to get us to planning. Detailed design at 50 hours would, I think, mean using some standard detailing but modified for your particular design.

My view on architects is that they do have an eye for design and can produce a building that has, for example, the right proportions, form and function. I think you can pretty much always tell when a building is a "builder/diy" design versus an architect unless the architect has had their hands tied by the developer, or they're rubbish.

If you decide to design yourself and want the space and aesthetic to work , you'll have to gain a good understanding of space requirements in rooms and houses etc. including ensuring things like sufficient headroom for stairs and so on. It's actually a lot of work if you haven't done it before. For planning they're only really interested in the external facets of the house, not the internals.

You can indeed save yourself money if you agree to take on admin sides of the architect's work, including CDM Health and Safety - none of it rocket science, a lot of it tendious bureaucracy, even if much of it is common sense. ?

Keep in mind you will need to add figures for structural engineer and any other professionals and they will need decent reference drawings etc.

My view is that the design value provided by a decent architect is worth it to have a nice looking and functional space, but also that some people choose to forego this. But as @George says, do speak to several architects and get quotes before making a decision. We spoke to 6 in all. You might also want to consider a chartered architectural technologist https://architecturaltechnology.com/

That’s the thing, he’s not giving me a massively creative vibe but he’s experienced, local and pragmatic and has done his own self build Passivhaus. And he was willing to view the plot while snowing!

Yes £50/hr does seem ok and he’s not VAT reg’d which will help cash flow. 

My other thought was, as I’m limited on budget, and PH is basically best as a box with no quirks then I’m kinda limited on design anyway and I know how to draw a box. Being facetious but you get the drift. 

Get him to shave the last 50 hours down, as all he is doing is opening up the last document he created, making it specific to you and saving. It’s not 50 hours work for building control, bearing in mind he’s done 25 hours for planning.

£50 is cheap RIBA rates are much higher.

29 minutes ago, goatcarrot said:

That’s the thing, he’s not giving me a massively creative vibe but he’s experienced, local and pragmatic and has done his own self build Passivhaus. And he was willing to view the plot while snowing!

Brownie points for the site visit, but otherwise that doesn't sound great. If you got a good vibe, I bet you wouldn't be here asking the question?

30 minutes ago, goatcarrot said:

My other thought was, as I’m limited on budget, and PH is basically best as a box with no quirks then I’m kinda limited on design anyway and I know how to draw a box. Being facetious but you get the drift. 

I do, maybe your mind is more made up that you realise? ? Why not give it a go yourself and see how it goes? Then ask for feedback on the forum. Like @Olf suggested, I can attest to Qcad (free or £33 for the pro license) as a good 2d tool and there are plenty of 3d house cad apps out there now. If you end up finding it all too tedious you can always get someone in?

12 minutes ago, goatcarrot said:

@SimonD  

I’d love to design it myself but the lack of experience and confidence is putting me off. But saving £8k on a £150k build is huge! That’s the ASHP or roof paid for. 

after all, no one knows better how we as a family live or would like to. 

It is indeed a large chunk of the budget. I tried to design ours but found I didn't have the creative insight to get it right. Even though some of the elements our architect designed were similar to ideas I'd had, he made them work as a whole design.

Unless you've already done so, or you're against it, have you looked at kit house suppliers who provide inhouse design and standardised kits, trying to find a local draughtman, or even and architectural technician?  Maybe even online pruchase of standardised plans, if there are any?