JCB 3CX - Buying Tips

Biglad

Hi all, 

I've been studying various sites online, looking to buy a JCB 3CX for various jobs around my place.

I've been looking at what I would think to be 90's models (by body shape... series 3 I guess??)... but I know little about them, so looking for any advise on what to avoid.

I've seen manual boxes, shuttle boxes - not 100% on what to look for there.  Also Project 8 and Project 12.... unsure on what those terms mean.

Any advise greatly appreciated to avoid buying the wrong thing.

Many thanks.

This all depends on your budget.  Engines are bullet proof. Whatever you buy expect it to need the brakes looking at, a few new hydraulic hoses etc. Steering pins/bushes wear but that only really affects road driving ... as does a worn steering actuator resulting in having to rotate the steering wheel slowly anticlockwise in order to drive in a straight line.

If it starts, drives forward and back and the hydraulics work you wont go far wrong. Manual box i find easier on old machines and less problematic

Cheers fella.

Budget sweetspot is £15k+VAT... I started looking at £10k but that seemed to be the crap end of series 3, so I moved up a bit.  Hours are all over the place, but who can believe that dial on a 25(ish)yr old machine.  I came to the conclusion judgment on condition, not hrs, is probably the way to go.

Only other worry is not buying something stolen (if not a trader).

I bought a 3cx for £7k a few years ago, a bit of a nail but still working. Yes they are bullet proof, look out for rams leaking, they can be repaired but the main back actor one requires a crane to lift it off which can be expensive. Mine has been invaluable BUT, they weigh over 8 tons and will carve up the ground if it is at all soft, mine has been buried a few times.

8 minutes ago, Biglad said:

Cheers fella.

Budget sweetspot is £15k+VAT... I started looking at £10k but that seemed to be the crap end of series 3, so I moved up a bit.  Hours are all over the place, but who can believe that dial on a 25(ish)yr old machine.  I came to the conclusion judgment on condition, not hrs, is probably the way to go.

Only other worry is not buying something stolen (if not a trader).

You are definitely on the right lines, budget is reasonable. Unlikely you will land on an old stolen 3C/3CX due to transport.

What kind of jobs are you hoping to do? 

I have a Massey 860 and find it excellent. New Holland and CAT also make good machines. 

If you want to go digging/grading/craning an excavator is far superior. If you want to lift and move materials a telehandler is mile's ahead. 

If I have my way I'll sell my digger and buy a dedicated loader if some sort. 

I'll then stockpile my digging jobs and rent an excavator every couple of months for a weekend. 

Edited by Iceverge

On 09/02/2021 at 17:53, Iceverge said:

What kind of jobs are you hoping to do? 

I have a Massey 860 and find it excellent. New Holland and CAT also make good machines. 

If you want to go digging/grading/craning an excavator is far superior. If you want to lift and move materials a telehandler is mile's ahead. 

If I have my way I'll sell my digger and buy a dedicated loader if some sort. 

I'll then stockpile my digging jobs and rent an excavator every couple of months for a weekend. 

I need it as an allrounder.... I've got building projects coming up, so footings etc.  I've got some land so earthmoving and ditching.  I need to landscape round the house so for that also, and shifting a few pallets every now and again.  I've considered a telehandler and an excavator and neither are really what I want.

I'm also looking at CAT/Massey/New Holland etc... but JCB's are thinker on the ground.

Edited by Biglad

@Biglad have you ever driven a 3CX..? They aren’t the panacea to fulfilling every job, and are limited in performance in certain circumstances. For example with the load forks on (assuming you get a 3 in 1 bucket) then your reach off the front is limited to just over a metre so loading out scaffolding needs proper planning. 

For ditching and trenching you will need 3 buckets minimum - budget £1-2k for a decent set that have teeth, top end of you want quick hitch capable buckets. 

And if you have driven a mini digger, the first couple of days on a backhoe will infuriate you as the controls are different ..!! Takes a while but swapping between the two can be fun !

Conversely, I taught myself to drive mine (badly at first), it came with three buckets but bought a fourth fir a particular job. It’s weight was my only drawback (with my boggy ground?) I will be getting rid of mine after this summer when (if) I get the last of the landscaping done and have been told I will get most of my money back (plus they are the best “boys toys” to have, I just love using it!).

JCB are great numb things, crap at accurately digging and mess up the site. Even their mini diggers are awful with really jerky hydraulics. Don’t buy a digger. I don’t even hire for self drive any longer. Hire a machine and operator. The operator is the key. A good operator can dig accurately and scrape level. You will get three times the productivity and a better job. Try the sole trader type operators not the bigger companies and not a highways approved contractor. The small guys all seem to work on a salary replacement business model or can’t do the maths to price for amortising the cost and maintenance of the machine. Hence they are cheap.