Building Control Update Requests

Triassic

I’ve been using a private Building Control company and had about six different Building Control staff over the two and half years I’ve been building my house. Staff retention appears to be a problem.  They only come to site when I contact them and request their attendance. Of late, probably the last eight months, they've  taken to emailing me and requesting that I email them a monthly progress report. Is this normal practice, Or something prompted by COVID-19 ?

No, this should not happen. Having dealt with the system down south and private BC, experienced some real safety howlers etc.  It seems like a race to the bottom. They did away with the clerk of works role years ago. It's only a matter of time before there is a serious accident and folk get killed.

The thing is folks (Triassic excluded as asking the question) that these checks, controls and balances are for your safety! Undermine them to save a few quid.. why?

Just to concentrate your minds a bit on BH. The CDM statutory regulations include self builders, look them up, you don't have to do too much but if someone gets hurt or worse you could find yourself in the firing line. Yes, it's not a hot topic on BH.. but the consequences can be a lot worse than a bit of condensation or worrying about a bit of cold bridging!

Thank you Triassic for you post. Rant over for now!

Edited by Gus Potter
clarity

@Gus Potter I don’t know if it’s just me but when I read your posts, I often struggle to see how they answer the original question(s) but go off on a tangent!?!

Back to what I believe are the OP’s questions...

“They only come to site when I contact them and request their attendance.”

That’s normal for all BCO’s as how are they to know what stage of the build you’re at?

“requesting that I email them a monthly progress report.”

That doesn’t seem normal but may be they way they are operating in the current climate. Some BCO’s are carrying out visits, some are requesting photos and others (like you say) are requesting reports.

I have found that it varies a lot between projects and BCOs.

Normally I would book a visit before pouring foundations, ground floor walls up to DPC, structure complete pre plaster, and completion.

At the end of the visit  I suggest the stage when they would like to reinspect and if they agree, fine and if not I ask them to specify.  Sometimes they will want to reinspect stuff they picked up on but are normally happy with pics and email.

I have never done a progress report to them, although I sometimes get an email from them or warranty providers asking where we are up to.

Two and a half years and six staff and you are not done yet.  It seems a lot of work for them when you look at their fees.

On 04/02/2021 at 07:48, DevilDamo said:

@Gus Potter I don’t know if it’s just me but when I read your posts, I often struggle to see how they answer the original question(s) but go off on a tangent!?!

Back to what I believe are the OP’s questions...

Thanks for the heads up Devil. Will aim to be a bit more OT and concise when posting.

I you are a self builder you may be placing some reliance on the fact that a BC company is carrying out site "checks". The CDM regulations relate in part to safety during construction and also after completion. If the site checks are no longer taking place then the BC company should advise on what action, if any, is required.

Triassic. This could be the reason for asking for a progress report. It may be that they want to limit the site visits to those that are safety critical and rely on photographs for the items that are less risky.