Utilities connection

Hi All,

I live in Derbyshire and about to start a self build.

I have been in touch with gas and electricity utilities for connection quotes. I have noticed on the gas quote that although ESP group own the mains I can use a different company to do the works provided they are registered to do so.

This got me thinking that perhaps I could get one company to connect all my utilities.

Is this something that I could do?

Would members recommend this?

If yes to above, any suggestions for companies in the Derbyshire area to do this?

Thank you

Sometimes the bit the utility say they must do turns out to be disproportionately expensive. So it doesnt always make sense to get a third party to do it.

Remember this should be zero rated for VAT to you. If they have included VAT get them to requote.

I am currently trying to get the water and electric suppliers to collaborate in a road crossing, which is not easy ? I looked at getting others to do the non contestable work, nobody was interested in such a small job (must be approved contractors). As above, the utility companies must do their own connections.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies.

Kind of seems silly for each company to come out and dig up the same hole to do their own connections but I guess that is the way it has to be.

The services all run across the front of my plot in the footway, so plan to have them all run down one side of my plot.

When we were doing ours we couldn’t find anyone to do the road (B road) crossing at a reasonable price. The only company who were interested in doing it quoted 7k ! 
we put it on the back burner to get on with other things and applied for electricity and telephone. Telephone got in first to the council for road closure and refused to share with electricity. Obviously electricity was more important than phone so we cancelled phone to allow electricity in. When we got the project manager out for the electricity connection and explained to him problem with water he let us put all the ducting in for the other services so the road was only opened once.

The electricity DNO is being quite helpful in my case, they are happy to throw a duct in the trench. Water need to do the dig because they go deeper but they are not willing (at the moment...) to ‘install others assets’ ? I am not giving up, just need to find the right person the speak to in the water supplier, also getting the council highways involved because they don’t want an A road closed twice!

Thankfully my project will not need road closures as they are in the footway.  Water will be on the opposite side of the plot.  Gas, electricity, BT and Virgin will all be on one side so I assume the same 1mtr square hole will be dug up each time!?

I'm also considering not having a BT line as I can have Virgin.  Anyone else have a similar dilemma?

I'm just going through this, its been a bit of a pain (Just electric and water). You need to book a survey for a quote from all of them and look out for mistakes all the time. You are right, water is deepest, so must dig, but turns out they have outsourced the dig. I've paid for them all, but MIGHT get some money back as they will use the same road closure (they refuse to promise or deduct in advance in case of a stuff up). 

1 hour ago, DerbyLad said:

I'm also considering not having a BT line as I can have Virgin

In the old house (current) we have no BT and dropped the Virgin phone line and now only have mobile numbers - but then you're in Derbyshire, so probably need either BT or Virgin for a land line and maybe the other as backup!!    

1 hour ago, Jilly said:

I'm just going through this, its been a bit of a pain (Just electric and water).

On the new build, we're also only lekky and water.   The Virgin line can come in via the conduit already laid by the brother in law next door.

Simon