Now I know why my porch is always cold

SteamyTea

I hardly ever use my front door and porch.  Partly because it is cold and miserable, even though it if SW facing.

But now I have eventually got around to do a proper decorating job, I have found out why.

Apparently the previous owner paid over £800 to have the door and frame fitted, and all that was keeping the weather out (remember it is SW facing in Cornwall, and I am at altitude) was some silcone on the internal plastic trim.

Off to get some cans of foam now.

Then I can try and work out why water gets into the actual door, and drains out when it is opened.

Door.jpg

An inward opening door is a flawed design for a door facing the prevailing wind.  On a windy day you will not stop some water getting over the drip beads and finding it's way into the gap between the door frame and door at the bottom, with the only thing holding it back being the seal.  Even if the seal is perfect, there will be a little bit of water sitting there, just waiting to come in when you open the door.

Ask me how I know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It is the lack of any foaming between the walls and the frame that is the thermal problem. 

But is your porch within the thermal envelope?, mine is not (but the frame is foamed in) and it very cold.