EROI required to order from EU

Thorfun

Greetings. in this new post-brexit era there are bound to be hiccups along the way. I have requested a quote for our insulated foundations from KORE which they have provided but they are having issues as it seems they require an EROI number to be able to export to me in the UK. As I am looking to buy the product directly I don't have that (obviously) and I'm sure companies like MBC that use KORE already have one of those in place.

So, I'm a little stuck at the moment, although KORE are looking in to this for me to see if there's a way around it.

I'm thinking that I might have to end up asking the groundworks company that I decide to go with if they have an EROI number and if so to ask if they'd be willing to purchase it on my behalf as it seems that it's not possible for an individual to purchase from the EU easily any more.

what are other's experiences or knowledge on this subject?

8 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Greetings. in this new post-brexit era there are bound to be hiccups along the way. I have requested a quote for our insulated foundations from KORE which they have provided but they are having issues as it seems they require an EROI number to be able to export to me in the UK. As I am looking to buy the product directly I don't have that (obviously) and I'm sure companies like MBC that use KORE already have one of those in place.

So, I'm a little stuck at the moment, although KORE are looking in to this for me to see if there's a way around it.

I'm thinking that I might have to end up asking the groundworks company that I decide to go with if they have an EROI number and if so to ask if they'd be willing to purchase it on my behalf as it seems that it's not possible for an individual to purchase from the EU easily any more.

what are other's experiences or knowledge on this subject?

I know that my wife was trying to get one on behalf of the business she works for during the summer as she kept being asked for it release samples from work released from customs (although they sent them anyway) but it was not obvious how to do it. Probably needs it now post deal.

During my (pre-brexit) build I directly imported lots of kit from EU - basement light-wells, velux, bathroom fittings etc. Was able to reclaim the VAT paid through the HMRC self build scheme also so no idea what you need to do now.

3 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Was able to reclaim the VAT paid through the HMRC self build scheme also so no idea what you need to do now.

yeah, I wonder if post-brexit this is now even possible. I might have to call HMRC to ask before pulling the trigger on purchasing from KORE.

Just now, Thorfun said:

yeah, I wonder if post-brexit this is now even possible. I might have to call HMRC to ask before pulling the trigger on purchasing from KORE.

I would guess you may be able to import VAT free (or reclaim any VAT paid outside the UK) and pay the then pay VAT on arrival and then claim it back again?

Or the exporter needs to collect the UK VAT on behalf of HMRC - I know for this reason, many smaller retailers will no longer ship to the UK.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/shipping

Damn all that bureaucracy that we had to endure previously. 

• Sad 1

I'd be surprised if a private importer needs an EORI number but personal imports come way down the government's Brexit priority list so who knows.

As I posted elsewhere..  

Items over £135 should be sent free of EU VAT.

UK VAT and a handling fee should/will be charged when it arrives in the UK.

Items under £135, the seller should collect UK VAT and remit this to HMRC. A process that requires them to register with HMRC.

• Like 1

From what I can see you only need an EORI number if you are importing for commercial or trading purposes. 

https://parcelbroker.co.uk/help/what-is-an-eori-number/

Are There Any Exceptions?

Yes. Very infrequent traders are not required to have an EORI number. HMRC are not interested in those simply selling a few personal possessions every once in a while or indeed those just shipping some personal belongings. However if you are shipping goods on a regular basis with the aim of turning a profit, HMRC will likely consider you to be trading for commercial purposes and will require you to register for an EORI number.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Temp said:

Items over £135 should be sent free of EU VAT.

UK VAT and a handling fee should/will be charged when it arrives in the UK.

this is very useful, thanks @Temp. I'll see if I can find an official link to send to KORE.

11 minutes ago, Temp said:

From what I can see you only need an EORI number if you are importing for commercial or trading purposes. 

https://parcelbroker.co.uk/help/what-is-an-eori-number/

Are There Any Exceptions?

Yes. Very infrequent traders are not required to have an EORI number. HMRC are not interested in those simply selling a few personal possessions every once in a while or indeed those just shipping some personal belongings. However if you are shipping goods on a regular basis with the aim of turning a profit, HMRC will likely consider you to be trading for commercial purposes and will require you to register for an EORI number.

so, KORE should be the ones who need to get an EORI number?

In Sweeden... 

https://www.tullverket.se/eng/business/eorieconomicoperatorregistrationandidentification/whichoperatorsneedaneorinumber.4.7df61c5915510cfe9e760b8.html

Individuals

Individuals do not need an EORI number when importing or exporting goods for private use. Examples of goods for private use are:

• personal belongings of people moving their normal home to the EU
  • consignments containing gifts for personal use
  • other goods intended for private use, including products bought for example on the Internet.

Our national rules, stating that Swedish individuals must provide their personal identity number (for individuals of other nationalities, their date of birth) for all import and export transactions where the value of the goods exceeds 10 000 SEK, still apply.

So perhaps give them your NI number?

Just now, Thorfun said:

this is very useful, thanks @Temp. I'll see if I can find an official link to send to KORE.

so, KORE should be the ones who need to get an EORI number?

They probably  already have one.

Both companies (the one exporting from the EU and the one importing into the UK) need one.

Just tried to buy sanitary ware from Germany> all the comanies will not deal with UK customer (Reuter, Megabad, Skybad) as they do not wish to register with HMRC to get a UK vat number. In summary they told me that it was quite bureaucratic and they had to collect the UK vat for HMRC not only on the goods sold but also on the transport. Further they told me that I would have to pay import duties on all items bought if the total price exceeded £135 this depends on the goods and this can be anything from 1 to 2.5% of the total cost!

So much for a free trade deal!!

• Sad 1