New Member A bit about me

Rich123

Hi , I am a Member of the Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers ( MCIBSE).

I spent many years as a Project Manager and Designer of Building services.

I have done a lot of commercial work but also a fair amount of domestic design, probably in excess of 1000 projects, so I’ve seen most things.

Im actually on here to get some info on construction as my experience is mostly M&E.

I was a qualified SAP assessor and have done quite a lot of building physics work , facade design and modelling.

I have found a lot of difficulty getting contractors to build things to the required spec , most don’t seem to understand why they do things and therefor it gets compromised.

I don’t profess to know everything as there are changes in technology , but i can probably help with ideas to find solutions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Welcome Rich, I am sure you will find a wealth of info here and I am also sure you will provide your own within your knowledge base.

Thanks  Joe , hopefully I can help a few people as well as get some advice myself.

14 hours ago, Rich123 said:

I have found a lot of difficulty getting contractors to build things to the required spec , most don’t seem to understand why they do things and therefor it gets compromised.

Welcome. My name for you will be SirBreathOfFreshAir  . I hope you don't mind. Here's why.....

I started build five years ago and I've had five years of people - from professionals to Odd Jobbers - who when politely asked in an unthreatening way, cannot explain the simplest things to me. Some have offered barely concealed contempt " Good luck with that mate ", outright denial (a la Donald Trump level ) " Passivhaus stuff is crap" [local TF manufacturer, financed by a famous local footballer], a long meaningful stare. Others simply avoid answering. One or two smile, and with a bit of pride show me. They'll always be welcome on site.

I can - to an extent - understand. Their job is not to teach, it's just to do.  In other words, encultered learning. They've done it for so long like this or that, that they have forgotten why - and therefore cannot explain. We all do it in our own sectors.

The trick is to get them to explain what they know of their own free will.

Thats the moment when many realise how much they do know. The underlying processes which contributed to that knowledge is even more deeply hidden. And if you are being paid by the job, the job is - get-it-done-pronto.

Explanations? - Couldn't give a stuff mate; now pay me and bye bye.

Unless there is a culture in which Continuous Professional Development (CPD) is a requirement to continuing practice (i.e. licence to practice), then very few, vanishingly few workers in any sector will care to explain anything to anyone.

Which is exactly why Build Hub is so popular. Its the generosity of the Mods, the Foundation Group, the members, to share what they know, and to care about what you so accurately ask. Why?

In the research literature in  online learning this place is a Community of practice.  A safe place where we are expected to share and explain. And that's not easy. We'll be glad of your help.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Welcome. My name for you will be SirBreathOfFreshAir  . I hope you don't mind. Here's why.....

I started build five years ago and I've had five years of people - from professionals to Odd Jobbers - who when politely asked in an unthreatening way, cannot explain the simplest things to me. Some have offered barely concealed contempt " Good luck with that mate ", outright denial (a la Donald Trump level ) " Passivhaus stuff is crap" [local TF manufacturer, financed by a famous local footballer], a long meaningful stare. Others simply avoid answering. One or two smile, and with a bit of pride show me. They'll always be welcome on site.

I can - to an extent - understand. Their job is not to teach, it's just to do.  In other words, encultered learning. They've done it for so long like this or that, that they have forgotten why - and therefore cannot explain. We all do it in our own sectors.

The trick is to get them to explain what they know of their own free will.

Thats the moment when many realise how much they do know. The underlying processes which contributed to that knowledge is even more deeply hidden. And if you are being paid by the job, the job is - get-it-done-pronto.

Explanations? - Couldn't give a stuff mate; now pay me and bye bye.

Unless there is a culture in which Continuous Professional Development (CPD) is a requirement to continuing practice (i.e. licence to practice), then very few, vanishingly few workers in any sector will care to explain anything to anyone.

Which is exactly why Build Hub is so popular. Its the generosity of the Mods, the Foundation Group, the members, to share what they know, and to care about what you so accurately ask. Why?

In the research literature in  online learning this place is a Community of practice.  A safe place where we are expected to share and explain. And that's not easy. We'll be glad of your help.

Yep agree , I had to do CPD and actually I was attending at least One a week , with suppliers etc and then training at CIBSE and online .

And then additional research etc so you need to stay on top. I retired 2 years ago and I am starting to get out of date with some of the new stuff already so I’ll need to check up on that .

I hope i can assist in some way .