Parking / turning area in front of house

Ronan 1

Hi all,

I am tweaking a few bits in the final design and was discussing with the missus about the tarmac area at the front of the house and it's size. I had originally had it as 15meters deep but as the garage shown is now 12meters long with the back starting in line with the front of the house she reckons we should terminate the tarmac in line with the front of the garage making it 12 meters deep. It's very unlike herself to suggest a cost saving as this would be but as it's a sloping site I don't want to leave it tight as extending afterwards would mean realigning the entrance road and all sorts of hassle.

So do you think 12 meters will be more than amble ??

Sorry for the very crude sketch...

20201230_094810.jpg

I would keep it larger if it doesn’t end up looking like a council car park. I find larger driveways (if done properly) tend to look like a more expensive home. Also I think you’ll be frustrated that you reduced it on the odd occasion that you need the space, eg fitting a few move cars or a decent size lorry when needed, or for kids playing. 

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I think perhaps a better drawing is needed as I am still trying to figure out how you get a car into the garage as your tarmac appears to approach the side of it?

Hi Dave the garage doors are on the side of the garage.

3 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

I would keep it larger if it doesn’t end up looking like a council car park. I find larger driveways (if done properly) tend to look like a more expensive home. Also I think you’ll be frustrated that you reduced it on the odd occasion that you need the space, eg fitting a few move cars or a decent size lorry when needed, or for kids playing. 

Hi Gav that's what I'm worried about, Just not sure that 12meters in width would still be adequate. I have a habit of oversizing everything. I want it large enough to be practical without the council car park look

3 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

Hi Dave the garage doors are on the side of the garage.

Makes sense now.

I would reduce the width to match the garage, but 12M is not a lot to turn in.  I would instead make a hammerhead turning space going alongside the left side of the house straight in front of where the driveway comes up, so to exit you reverse from in front of the garage into the turning space alongside the left of the house, then drive out forwards.

Just now, Ronan 1 said:

Hi Gav that's what I'm worried about, Just not sure that 12meters in width would still be adequate. I have a habit of oversizing everything. I want it large enough to be practical without the council car park look

Are you set on using tarmac type surface? Maybe a different finish like resin would reduce the carpark look? 

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Makes sense now.

I would reduce the width to match the garage, but 6M is not a lot to turn in.  I would insteas make a hammerhead turning space going alongside the left side of the house straight in front of where the driveway comes up, so to exit you reverse from in front of the garage into the turning space alongside the left of the house, then drive out forwards.

The garage will be 12 meters long so that would leave the tarmac area 12 meters deep from the front face of the house,

Hard to see from crap sketch but I also have a 5 meter wide strip of tarmac running inbetween the garage and house which could be used as a hammerhead when reversing out of garage.

2 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Are you set on using tarmac type surface? Maybe a different finish like resin would reduce the carpark look? 

No not fixed on Tarmac except on the actual drive. I have also though about resin for that reason also.