I've actually received some windows...

SimonD

Just a minor share of some positive progress. I know there are a lot of problems with window supplies at the moment. The hire company supplying my window lifting equipments says load of projects have been held up due to this. However, true to their word, when I ordered my windows, Nordvest Windows told me my order would be delivered w/c 7th December. And that they did. The telehandler I hired was another story as it caused one of those classic Grand Designs moments where the telehandler stopped working, stuck and going nowhere with a partial load half off the lorry, blocking the main road at rush hour! My heart has recovered and once the transport company got round to re-delivering the pallets, the replacement telehandler did the job. Now I've just got to wait for a day when it isn't raining to actually use the glass lifting machine to install the upstairs windows.

(and yes, I know the back windows are sticking out of the house, soon they won't be ?)

crates.JPG

window.JPG

rear windows.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Onoff said:

I always giggle when they release the vacuum kombi sucker replacing glass. Someone shouts "Sucker's off!"

And goodness is it scary when attaching the thing, getting to vacuum pressure and then finding the pump starts to run constantly as the window hangs high in the air! 

18 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Are they just supported at the base on those brackets?  I assume you are doing EWI and cladding / render?

Those brackets at the base I installed so we could lift the windows up and rest them on there while truing them up with air wedges and fixing with the straps. The straps to the masonry do all the holding. I will be adding some plywood boxing around the window frame to seal it all up for airtightness etc. The only bracket that does provide permanent support is the cantilevered one for the back door. Then, yes, ewi and render.   

24 minutes ago, SimonD said:

And goodness is it scary when attaching the thing, getting to vacuum pressure and then finding the pump starts to run constantly as the window hangs high in the air! 

We usually put a ratchet strap round the unit and kombi sucker and take it off at the last minute. The theory being if the vacuum starts to fail and the glass slips, the sucker pads might stop on the frame. Biggest unit I've lifted is 540kg.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

We usually put a ratchet strap round the unit and kombi sucker and take it off at the last minute. The theory being if the vacuum starts to fail and the glass slips, the sucker pads might stop on the frame. Biggest unit I've lifted is 540kg.

Great suggestion, thanks! I'll do that. My biggest unit will be 197kg, and about 2.4m x 2.6m with a lifting height of about 5m. The top of the window will be a bit over 6m.  I know the equipment will do it but I know I'm putting it off until my nerves settle a bit.

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

Great suggestion, thanks! I'll do that. My biggest unit will be 197kg, and about 2.4m x 2.6m with a lifting height of about 5m. The top of the window will be a bit over 6m.  I know the equipment will do it but I know I'm putting it off until my nerves settle a bit.

Don't over tighten the strap obviously, just nipped up. Make sure you can access the ratchet to release it as you offer it up to the hole and as the ratchet is released that the hooks don't dink the glass! 

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you thought about a fibreglass angle under the windows, bolted to the brickwork. 

Those side brackets will do next to nothing in supporting the load. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Initially my plan was to bolt my plywood boxing into the wall and also screw the windows to this box frame as well as using the straps. However, the 4 windows being installed outside the old house wall weigh between 49 and 68kg. I've installed straps all round the windows so with the number used for each window, none of the straps carry a dead load of more than 5kg each. Once I got them fully fixed it became apparent that they're sitting solid as a rock. I personally don't have any qualms about this being strong enough but if I'm overcome by a wave of OCD when the time comes, I may just fix the windows to the plywood box too. ?

All my big windows and doors sit within the new structural timber frame so that's a different story.

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Don't over tighten the strap obviously, just nipped up. Make sure you can access the ratchet to release it as you offer it up to the hole and as the ratchet is released that the hooks don't dink the glass! 

Good point, I'll use endless straps and watch the ratched!