Generic DG window stuck closed

daiking

I have a casement window that is stuck closed. It’s a first floor escape window ?

Handle turns and the base is free but the top is still locked. I youtube’d how to free it and saw how you could slip something between the frame and casement to pull the latch down. Didn’t work and when I inspected a similar window (I’m guessing they are the same) could see the little latch was far higher and further back than in the YouTube examples and I will not be able to release it myself with “an Allen key”. Nor do the geometry of the “UPVC latch tools” available look promising. The roller cam is approx 25mm back from the face.

Is there a better tool option? I need something thin, stiff, right- angled and a minimum of 30mm long in both directions to fit in the available space and also have enough meat to pull on whilst not slipping off.

B7FF29DD-D51E-466E-8411-3468D8015652.jpeg

2A676954-0060-49D1-AF9B-8DA258E1F36F.jpeg

031791F0-BDB0-40FB-9435-99EA088FD8C1.jpeg

73B2497A-B5AC-4C54-AA22-AEEE00EFDCD0.jpeg

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Piece of pallet binding threaded through the frame sometimes works - helps if you can get both sides though to pull down 

Did I say first floor? ?

Is this locksmith territory? Not sure it’s a window fitter job.

2 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Or a thin wire coat hanger perhaps.... (mis-spent youth skills and all that ...?)

I’ve fiddled without luck so far. I should try to take the seal out and persevere, it’s the bends and dimensions that’s the problem.

A loop of wire pushed down over the cam  from outside and pulled from inside looks the best bet ?

Edited by daiking

33 minutes ago, daiking said:

Did I say first floor? ?

Is this locksmith territory? Not sure it’s a window fitter job.

Yep just wondered if this was a double opener ..? Ladder from the outside isn’t ideal as you need to pull both sides down at the same time

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep just wondered if this was a double opener ..? Ladder from the outside isn’t ideal as you need to pull both sides down at the same time

Double opener? Is just a standard side hinge casement. There is a cam at the bottom but that is free as the window clearly moves a bit when you push it.

It does open out onto the big lean to extension roof so I do have some access but not doing it now in a frost...

and the fascia/eaves bit is very low to the window.

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Well worth lubing all your window/door locks and hinges with some graphite spray periodically. 

tanks fir the reminder, some of mine are getting “sticky”, it’s on my “to do list”.

16 minutes ago, joe90 said:

tanks fir the reminder, some of mine are getting “sticky”, it’s on my “to do list”.

Lidl were doing a good graphite spray.

Edited by Onoff
Graphite!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Have you tried working the handle up and down and tapping the top corner with your fist to try and create some shock to free the roller up.

I have tried but worth a go again as it is cold this morning. might be extra clearance in there.

No luck with this what so ever.

This is a view of the stuck corner through the opening top light.

There only only about 25mm clearance between the top of the opener and the white upvc cladding above it.

I’m wondering whether I can make a good estimate of the location of the stuck roller from another similar window. Drill through from the outside to open a hole to lever the cam down to open it. There must be some clearance between the slotted bracket attached to the frame and the window itself. 2mm?

F55D7168-1C4A-4370-8398-BB669547BC54.jpeg

Edited by daiking