Planning permission expiring

aims

Hi All,

Wondering how many other people have been in my position ad any recommendations on what to:

1. Planning permission expiring in December 2021 - for a new self build
  2. Current status: should receive pre-construction building control approval in the next few weeks (Nov/Dev 2020)
  3. Things left to do: Self Build mortgage, Tender process, Utility companies (Thames water for sewage is already complete as part of the building control approval)
  4. Why did it take long so far? Where do I start... Architect went into Administration (put the project on hold for 6+ months), Building Control with Local Authority has been painfully slow , etc

Naturally with all the things still left to do, I am a little concerned about whether  I can start the build within a year (based on how slow the project has been so far + covid). I am aware you can't "renew" planning permissions anymore which is a shame. Anyone have any advice, should I talk with the Planning Officer maybe 6 month before the expiry date? I imagine I will have go through the whole planning process again if I don't think I can start. 

Thanks all

As above, commencing work on the foundations would be enough to warrant a start on site. You wouldn’t have to excavate for all but may be a portion of, say 25%. Once excavated, request a BR inspection and then job done. Btw, make sure you formally discharge any pre-commencement Planning conditions before you start digging.

• Like 1

You don't even need to do that, our BC recommended that we do some commencement work ahead of the regs changing in April 2015 - we laid some new fouls and ICs (about 20m) and he said that was fine.

Key thing is that your BC needs to confirm that work has started, then you're fine.

More or less all I needed was a spade stuck in the ground and a form sent to Planning saying I had started. (Naturally, this is different for different councils) Of course be midful of CIL if it exists in your area, and be thoroughly sure all the pre-start conditions are met.

I took over 2 years to get properly started for various reasons too. I am sure it will all come together for you.

Thanks all, good to know. I guess few things that come to mind:

1. I need to figure out how starting may impact by selfbuild mortgage.  - I fairly certain I will have that wrapped up before I begin anyway but I know some lenders can be picky with work that has already begun
  2. 15 hours ago, dnb said:

More or less all I needed was a spade stuck in the ground and a form sent to Planning saying I had started. (Naturally, this is different for different councils) Of course be midful of CIL if it exists in your area, and be thoroughly sure all the pre-start conditions are met.

I took over 2 years to get properly started for various reasons too. I am sure it will all come together for you.

@dnb This form you sent to Planning, was their a sign off from BC to confirm it had started? I am guessing I need to discuss the criteria for starting work with my local council as there seems to be a few different levels to what is considered "started".

For CIL /Planning conditions, I think I have them under control, so hopefully should have no issue.

There wasn't anything formal involving Building Control that I had to manage for the form I submitted. Planning and building control are in adjoining offices over here so I am sure they talk to each other sometimes! As always, it's best to check with your local council because they are all a bit different.