What Gradient for a Veranda & Flat Roof?

Gimp

So I was hoping to gather some views as to what would be a good gradient for a Veranda & Flat roof. Both are going to be built of Beam & Block with a layer of Insulation then Screed. However, what I've discovered so far form my CAD drawings is that even a 5 degree pitch is pretty steep. Now I'm thinking about a 3 degree pitch, but even this is a bit tricky to work in. I don't want to go too high since I would prefer the veranda & flat roof to be relatively comfortable to walk on, table & chairs to stand on etc. So I don't want the pitch to be so steep it would feel weird walking out on. On the other hand I want the roof & veranda to drain water sufficiently since the location of my self build is in Wales. So I'm in a bit of a quandary.

You should be looking for a minimum of 1/80 fall, but probably better to have 1/40. We have 1/40 on our terrace area that is a roof too. I'll be using firrings to bring it up to level, however 1/40 is hardly noticable to stand on - although it might be more obvious with table and chairs!

If you're having a screen, then surely you can just pump that to level, assuming the waterproof layer is sufficient?

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

You should be looking for a minimum of 1/80 fall, but probably better to have 1/40. We have 1/40 on our terrace area that is a roof too. I'll be using firrings to bring it up to level, however 1/40 is hardly noticable to stand on - although it might be more obvious with table and chairs!

If you're having a screen, then surely you can just pump that to level, assuming the waterproof layer is sufficient?

Thanks Jamie, that's very handy to know, so a 1/80 would be about a 1.25 degree gradient and a 1/40 about a 2.5 degree gradient. So that would be helpful to me in reducing the gradient to a decent level so I don't have to alter the door level out the veranda too much and be too steep or shallow a slope. I think if I can I will try to avoid the 1/80 then since I am in Wales however the veranda is not a very large area so I can probably get away with a bit I imagine do perhaps anywhere between 2-2.5 degree I'm thinking, many thanks for your help :) 

Two ways to fix this - first is a very shallow slope and live with the tables etc sloping. 

Second is to lay a slab or something similar on top of the sloping and sealed roof but with gaps between the slabs and lay on packers - you can get them for the job and it then allows the top surface to be level but any water goes between the slabs and drains away. 

The whacky alternative is lay membrane and gravel/ sand and use artificial turf or even the real thing ..! 

57 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Two ways to fix this - first is a very shallow slope and live with the tables etc sloping. 

Second is to lay a slab or something similar on top of the sloping and sealed roof but with gaps between the slabs and lay on packers - you can get them for the job and it then allows the top surface to be level but any water goes between the slabs and drains away. 

The whacky alternative is lay membrane and gravel/ sand and use artificial turf or even the real thing ..! 

Thanks Peter, the paving idea is worth investigating but I'm a bit pushed for depth. All I can think of at the moment for such a build up is to reduce the insulation down on top of the beam & block (from 100mm to 50mm) and offset this but putting more insulation to the under side which there should be plenty of room for in the ceiling void sticking it to the underside of the beam & block. The floor level of the first floor can't really be changes at this stage or it would throw up a whole host of other little problems as I see it.