Linseed paint for wooden eaves?

I blame YouTube for this idea. I was researching how to approach fixing a fascia and soffit and found a British guy describing the same job on his renovation, he has painted his wooden eaves with linseed paint. It is claimed the paint will protect the wood for longer in this awkward to maintain area.

Reading some more I understand a linseed based paint will penetrate the wood better. Given that water entrapment behind a flaking modern "plastic" paint is the likely mechanism of rotting eaves, I quite like the idea of using this stuff on my eaves. Conversely I am not sure why an oil paint will penetrate wood better than water based paint, thinking back to O level chemistry oil molecules are long and stringy but a water molecule is small.

Linseed paints take longer to dry apparently which could be an issue at this time of year.

https://www.linseedpaint.com/

• 3 months later...

So glad to find this, I'll need to paint fascia and soffit for a windswept (storm blasted) coastal house and have been considering linseed paint. Bit concerned about the temperature being too low at the moment... However that aside it does seem the longest lasting option?