Task usage range for a 1st fix frame nailer.

epsilonGreedy

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

Toolstation ring shank galvanised nails are very good quality and not expensive either. 

The nail spec imprinted on the joist hangers specifies "round wire nails" 3.75 x 75. Are ring shank nails a good substitute for round wire nails on a roofing job where a manual hammer is the chosen weapon?

6 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

also speed, screws are slowwwww

I take your point.

Speed is way down the priority list of this bumbling self builder. I think internet research is taking much longer than the hammering part of this roofing job ?

5 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

The nail spec imprinted on the joist hangers specifies "round wire nails" 3.75 x 75. Are ring shank nails a good substitute for round wire nails on a roofing job where a manual hammer is the chosen weapon?

IMO ring shanks are even better (as long as you don’t want to pull them out again). Duh, joist hangers usually use square shank nails specifically fir joist hangers, perhaps roof metalwork is different???.

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

IMO ring shanks are even better (as long as you don’t want to pull them out again). Duh, joist hangers usually use square shank nails specifically fir joist hangers, perhaps roof metalwork is different???.

No, you are correct. The imprinted spec on the hanger says:

"With top wrap":

Face/Top 3.75 x 30mm square twist

Joist 3.75 x 70mm round wire nails

Qty Face 8, Top 4, Joist 6

So 12 square nails and 6 round wire nails per hanger.

There is no such spec on the clips used where the trusses seat on the wallplate. As I consider wind stresses on the finished roof I realise the fixing of these clips is vital as well i.e. no point in study straps holding down the wall plate if the trusses tear out their seating clips. I recall your roof had direct truss to wall twisted straps?

14 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I recall your roof had direct truss to wall twisted straps?

Yes mate, it made sense to me to tie the trusses to the wall also nails through these to wall plate and trusses diagonally nailed to wall plate, belt and braces? Yes but it gets windy here.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

They mean anything round and ring shank don’t pull out. These are a steal.