Underground water pipe - ducting or blinding?

Randomusername

I’ve 2 lengths of MDPE water supply pipe to lay underground. 

I thought ducting would be expensive, but when I consider the fact that for 100metres of run I’ll probably need quite a lot of sand, the ducting option may well be similar or even lower cost, as well as a lot less time and effort!

Thoughts please?

No need to duct. Use 100-200mm of quarry dust around the pipes if stony ground. If the ground is stone free, no need for dust either. 

Quick calculation suggest you'll only need 8tonnes of dust. I recently got 13t delivered for £120.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I don't know, but the idea of ducting appeals. If you ever wanted to upsize one of the pipes, you could pull through, rather than digging up.

Yes that’s a potential benefit too. 

22 hours ago, Conor said:

No need to duct. Use 100-200mm of quarry dust around the pipes if stony ground. If the ground is stone free, no need for dust either. 

Quick calculation suggest you'll only need 8tonnes of dust. I recently got 13t delivered for £120.

Quarry dust is most likely a regional thing, prices for aggregates delivered seem to vary hugely due to this. 

Anglian Water specify sand blinding if not ducted - they might not mind in the event, but I wouldn’t want to get to inspection and find that they won’t pass it...

Going by the price of 63mm blue ducting, I can get 2 x 50 metres delivered for about £100 - it just seems more sensible than getting a specific delivery of aggregate that I then have to move on site and shovel in?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Randomusername said:

Does anyone ever use the specific blue marker tape when laying water pipes?

Must admit that I used the proper tape over my first electric duct that the DNO used, put some over my BT duct in the lane, havent used any since?‍♂️

If it’s a twin wall ducting and not rigid and your not going to blind it with sand, make sure you avoid back filling directly on top of it with any big lumps. Otherwise it could squash and you won’t pull anything through it. For the cost of a role of tape I’d put some over it. Any future excavations will hit the tape before the pipe and should do a bit of hand digging!