Excavating sandstone?

Moonshine

we had our ground investigation today which seems to be dense sand to about 2.5-2.8m and sand stone below that.

We are excavating to 3.5m for a basement cut into a slope.

The presence of sandstone is good for our retaining wall design (I think), however I am concerned how to excavate through the sand stone.

Have anyone had experience digging / excavating sand stone?

6 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

we had our ground investigation today which seems to be dense sand to about 2.5-2.8m and sand stone below that.

The presence of sandstone is good for our retaining wall design (I think), however I am concerned how to excavate through the sand stone.

we also have sandstone about 2m down and need to dig down over 3m for our basement. I will be leaving it to the groundwork company to figure out how best to go through it! I am hoping to retain the excavated stone though and try and get it made in to tiles for the patio or garden. 

25 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Just get a excavator with a breaker. Relatively speaking sandstone will break up easily, then use a narrow bucket to remove, I'd not worry too much. Are you hiring a machine and doing it or paying a groundwork contractor? If the latter just let them know beforehand they will need a breaker and maybe a bucket with a thumb, you might be able to sell the stone if you get it out in nice big chunks for landscaping and stone walls!

Given they can break out entire concrete buildings they will breeze through SS.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Just get a excavator with a breaker. Relatively speaking sandstone will break up easily, then use a narrow bucket to remove, I'd not worry too much. Are you hiring a machine and doing it or paying a groundwork contractor? If the latter just let them know beforehand they will need a breaker and maybe a bucket with a thumb, you might be able to sell the stone if you get it out in nice big chunks for landscaping and stone walls!

I will be getting someone to do the ground works and retaining walls as a package which I will give them the ground investigation report and structural design for the walls.

Good to know sandstone will come out fairly easily.

Edited by Moonshine