Jump to content

Driveway renovation


AdamD
 Share

Recommended Posts

In order to improve the look of our property and add a much needed 2nd parking space, we are looking to transform our driveway. See pictures attached from what we are going from and what we want to go to (not this specifically, although it is very nice, but something like it). 
 

Any advice and thoughts welcomed. Price, considerations, challenges, how to go about it (what prep work can I do to save money) etc.

1B300DF9-ABA0-445C-B427-FF3F596E9884.jpeg

C38B9801-4B26-408D-BA11-121C1999AC4B.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if you are planning on digging out the whole of the front garden for parking then don't forget the retaining wall so the house doesn't join you in the car.

The 'want' is lovely except for the breeze blocks on top of the lovely wall.

 

Edited by LSB
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LSB said:

if you are planning on digging out the whole of the front garden for parking then don't forget the retaining wall so the house doesn't join you in the car.

The 'want' is lovely except for the breeze blocks on top of the lovely wall.

 

Yes the retaining wall is the big issue here and I’m not going to consider digging anything until that is considered. As we are quite high up from the road there is an awful lot of earth there. I don’t even know where to start with the retaining wall. Dig back as far as is needed (there will still be a decent amount of earth remaining) and then build the wall? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AdamD said:

Yes the retaining wall is the big issue here and I’m not going to consider digging anything until that is considered. As we are quite high up from the road there is an awful lot of earth there. I don’t even know where to start with the retaining wall. Dig back as far as is needed (there will still be a decent amount of earth remaining) and then build the wall? 

I've no idea how you would do it, just thought that was what was needed, probably best to speak to an experience builder (not the local pikeys) or structural engineer.

I've also no idea about building control and if they need to be involved.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you need Planning Permission and a structural engineer for this. You are sensible in not looking to skimp on the thing that will be stopping your house falling down ?.

 

My suggested start would be to spot a couple on the road that are recent (see Google Streetview Time Travel Feature), and have a chat if you know any of the people. Normally I would say go and knock on the door  or arrange to meet them in the street by chance, but that is not so easy in a time of COVID, so perhaps find the more recent ones and then go and do a postcode / number search on the Council website to look for Planning Permissions. 

 

That should give you all sorts of useful information.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I think you need Planning Permission and a structural engineer for this. You are sensible in not looking to skimp on the thing that will be stopping your house falling down ?.

 

My suggested start would be to spot a couple on the road that are recent (see Google Streetview Time Travel Feature), and have a chat if you know any of the people. Normally I would say go and knock on the door  or arrange to meet them in the street by chance, but that is not so easy in a time of COVID, so perhaps find the more recent ones and then go and do a postcode / number search on the Council website to look for Planning Permissions. 

 

That should give you all sorts of useful information.

Thanks, that’s really useful. Never knew about that Google maps function. Turns out it looked like this before, so looks like an awful lot of earth much like ours. At least it shows it can be done. 
 

I agree, going to chat to them about it is the way forward.

8A8CA38A-3032-46A8-9435-CF8E35A1CB11.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly this scale of excavating would be classed as an "Engineering Operation" not covered by Permitted Development meaning planning permission would be required. I might be wrong though.

 

The normal recommendation is that any retaining wall over 1m high should be designed by a Structural Engineer.

 

Unfortunately the Party Wall Act may also come into play if you are digging within 3m (and possibly 6m) of a neighbours house. Try and avoid this if possible as things can get expensive. Keep the neighbours happy.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...