What do I need.. Architect vs Architectural Technician

AG_YB

As mentioned before on here I'm at the very start of my self build journey. I have a plot, kindly gifted to us by my father in law. Right next to where he chose to build his house some 30 years ago. 

After constant searching for pieces of inspiration to take to an architect... I came across a design of a house which I've seen and absolutely love, done by an architect practice online (not local to us). They have it up as a previous project page sort of thing, with front, side, rear and cross section drawing. Along with a ground and first floor layout. And a few words about the design, building orientation and materials etc. 

Its exactly what we would have wanted, and it's what we would take to an architect as say that please (I know this may all seem rather uninspiring, but after searching and collecting bits and snaps of aspects of a stuff we love..  We came across this house. Also I'm not looking for a grand design, just a functional family home, with a few bits and pieces. 

So my (main) question is - do I need an architect? Obviously, I know some people have the skill to do this work themselves. But, Could I not take this to a local architectural technician, save some pennies and get them create me my own set of drawings, dicuss materials etc. Will an architectural technician be able to help guide us through the whole site, foundation type, spec pathway as well as an architect. Basically if I don't need the 'design' aspect, can I not use an architect. The site is a relatively simple site, 'infill' grassland (currently sometimes used for the family pony!), good access, level, no soil issues for either of the houses when built either side, neighbours are family and then a very welcoming old couple that we know well. Opposite side of the road is farm land and also behind owned my father in law (and our plot is large enough that there will be at least 15m either sidep). 

Side questions.. not that anyone would ever know... But do people think this is OK, almost plagiarising? There minor details we would have differently. 

Should I stop being a cheapskate and either contact the original architect and/or a local architect and have a full design etc done? As they may just make it that 1% better that pushes it into a fantastic building? 

Should I just be thankful that I've stumbled across soemthing that we both instantly went.. Yes!? 

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the ramble! 

Edited by AG_YB

So... you can’t take the design as is as it will be copyright on the website, but you can take a copy of it as inspiration and say I want something like this.

You will also find that there will be other designs that you will take inspiration from - don’t stop with the first idea you come up with.

• Like 1

It is a difficult one. When i had my kitchen company. I would spend a good few days designing a kitchen that would look stunning, and perform the tasks, and needs, and wants of the client. They were high end hand built, and generally in excess of 50k. I stopped giving out my drawings when i designed a kitchen that was £127k +vat. The client loved it. I never got the job, and found out later that the celeb client did'nt think i would be able to do the kitchen for that price. They gave my design to another company, who copied it exactly, right down to the personalised engraving on some of the wood, and charged £200k. I was miffed, so i would say, go to the company who did the design. You never know, they might even have built it and have some real world ideas of how it could be even better.

• Like 3

Hi AG_YB

Nothing wrong in taking insperation from others, after all that is sometimes / often how we all make progress. It's what you do next that is important for you.

We all design stuff even if that means choosing the paint, wall paper, a new duvet. Some do it to make a living, some for fun and or for personal satisfaction. But (personally speaking) once something is built you tend to look back and think..I could have just done that bit a wee bit better, or that bit is a howler.. and (not you) if you have not made some of these yet then time is on the "howler's" side.

Maybe go back the the Architect (who's design you love) and ask how much it would cost to tweak it just for you? Maybe look at the orientation of the house, the views, how the sun sets and rises, shaddows.. you can make a long list. Also, look at how you are actually going to really use the house once you have been in it for a couple of years and the novelty has worn off? It may cost less than you think? It does no harm to phone them up and just ask.

It's ok to get inspiration as Peter W says, just don't rip off other folks stuff whole sale and don't copy their actual detailed drawings. Personally if someone is copying one of my concept designs then it's quite good to be "followed" .. it's the only time I get to be famous.

It's a good point you make about seeing something and saying "yes" .. it's a gut feeling and worth trusting, just check your facts.. just for reassurance.

There are a few alternatives in terms of the traditional Architect route. If you know what you want or even if you don't then there are other folk that are competant (experienced enough) to deliver what you need. Some are pretty talented and they can also bring a slightly different skill set to the process that may suit you, it's worth exploring... you're not being a cheepskate just sensible and thoughtful.

As a point of there are also a number of folk about who started out as Structural Engineers that do the Architectural (creative) side of things and deal with the permissions and so on. The professions cross fertilize as Structural Engineering requires vision, creativity and "inventiveness" also. Design is fun, creative and rewarding. I know few Architect's who incorporate good structural design right at the concept stage as they really enjoy it, they know their stuff, just they can't bear to do the calculations and funnily enough there are a few SE's who "cross the tracks".. to the Architectural side but you get the calculations / SE design as part of the package.

AG_YB all the best, try and have as much fun as you can as this will often offset the times that things get a bit stressful.

• Like 1