ROI VAT reclaim in UK?? (KORE foundation)

I'm due to purchase (direct) my Kore foundation system, circa £7-8k. 

As i  don't have a VAT number, I'll pay their VAT rate - I think it's under the reduced rate of 13.5% at the moment and not their full 21%. 

Its not claimable I believe even though it'll come into the UK. 

They said I could give them a VAT number and then it'd be zero rated....that's fine. But i think then the company the VAT number is registered to is then liable to pay UK VAT and then Charge me VAT, which I think would be fine as I can then claim back. 

I'd rather avoid the extra outlay and hassle, but wanted to see who else had done this process or similar and their approach?  

2 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Its not claimable I believe even though it'll come into the UK. 

Why not..? You just add it onto your VAT reclaim (assuming you’re buying just the components and not install too..??)

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Why not..? You just add it onto your VAT reclaim (assuming you’re buying just the components and not install too..??)

Ita a different VAT system. The ROI is separate and hence from what I understand its not claimable through out HMRC. I'd happily be wrong though 

It’s fine - you need a VAT receipt clearly showing the amount / rate and it in your name. Then you just claim the VAT paid. Same as a lot of people have done with German or other European suppliers of things such as sanitary ware. 

6 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Ita a different VAT system. The ROI is separate and hence from what I understand its not claimable through out HMRC. I'd happily be wrong though 

Happy to tell you, you are completely wrong ?

I've no idea what happens after Brexit though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Thats good news then. 

Better get it before the end of the year then!

Unless they say that it’s based on claim date (assuming they change the ability to recover VAT from the EU). HMRC are a law unto themselves sadly. 

My understanding is that until the end of the year you should pay ROI VAT and freclaim it like any other material you buy.

The big unknown is how VAT is processed after the end of the year. My understanding  is that in the event of a no deal exports to the UK should be ROI VAT free and UK VAT will be charged when the goods arrive in the UK. Then you reclaim the UK VAT. The problem will be if the supplier won't export VAT free. My guess is you will have to pay both and only be able to reclaim the UK VAT. 

There may also be UK duty to pay on goods arriving next year and that cannot be reclaimed.

I would make sure delivery is well this side of year end.

• 1 month later...

did anyone claim back Tanners design fees? I have contracted directly with them rather than through Kore, hence I now have an invoice from Tanners, but like architect fees I assume you can't claim the VAT back on the foundation structural design?

thanks

Edited by SuperJohnG
typo

Just now, Conor said:

@SuperJohnG that would be classed as a professional service and you can't claim the vat back.

I think sorted now. Same as SIPS kit suppliers with superstructure engineer.....Kore going to lump in with their costs for the foundation insulation and can keep it that way. 

thanks. 

Now I just need to get it in the country and store it before brexit happens! otherwise mayhem and 6% tariff if no deal