You can’t build here. There are no shops nearby.

Jaqueslecont

11 hours ago, Jaqueslecont said:

I need to push the sustainability pitch in other ways. Environmental credentials? 

We pitched our application firmly on the sustainability ticket. The trouble is that the meaning of the term is sufficiently amorphous to provide for a wide range of interpretation.

I agree with @LSB above.  Two things left: persistence and evidence gathering. It took us 35 years of quiet determination - extreme perhaps,  but when hope is all that you have, then keeping it alive becomes a useful job. 

So, I got some advice from a local planning consultant.

As discussed I am happy to share my initial thoughts on your proposals for the barn.

The location is outside of the Grade II* Registered Park, but visible from it. The change from being an uninhabited farm building to a residence will be resisted by Historic England because of ‘intensification’ of use - lights/cars/garden structures/fencing.

The site is within the theoretical zone of visual influence of the Grade I House, though in reality it may only be visible from the roof of the main house.

No conservation or listed buildings are nearby and the site is within the harbour run-off water zone – not a problem in reality.

The Local Planning Authority will be resistant to development in the open countryside and on sites that are not sustainable, which in this case would be car reliant with no local amenities.

In conclusion the possibilities for residential conversion/re-build are slim. You can seek the formal LPA views by a pre-consulation application (fee of £400), which, as I said, I am happy to assist you with in writing the letter of application.

Hmmm. I'm now on the fence as to whether I throw £400 away or just give up on it.

Edited by Jaqueslecont

@Jaqueslecont did the consultant give a view on the viability of a class Q application? The barn is of sturdy concrete frame construction and AFAIK there's nothing in class Q about a floor. Probably 99% of class Q buildings would need a new floor.

There have likely been similar buildings approved for class Q, though perhaps would have had some brick or concrete infill between the columns.

Perhaps you could ask the consultant about the chances for class Q if the farmer were to do some minor renovation to their barn before any class Q application was made? Again - do not speak to the local planners.

Class Q avoids all these issues of the local Lord maybe being able to see your washing line if he stands on his grade 1 rooftop with a telescope.

There is perhaps the issue of the frame. Those type of buildings were likely not designed to last for long and you might want to get professional advice on its likely lifespan. I guess once a house, the concrete would be much more protected and so increase its life?

You might also have an issue with insulation under class Q since you'd want that on the outside, thus fractionally increasing the built volume.

One possible approach is to get class Q and then having established the principal of a dwelling you make a full application for some things that would make it 'better'. Having class Q IS a material consideration in a full planning application, so they are required to then explain why the class Q version is preferable to the full version you propose.

There's also the paragraph 55/79 approach but that's very expensive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've made the decision to go for a pre-planning consultation. Can anyone point me in the direction of any examples about pre-application letters or submissions? Topics I'm thining of including are:

About me

Proposal

Sustainability

General appearance and construction

Full planning or part Q

Working alongside the planning office

Development plan

Am I on the right lines here?