Which Side Fence Is Mine?

Onoff

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

In your deeds and marked with a T normally. 

Thanks but don't the bank/building society hold them all the time you're paying a mortgage off?

Saying that I've the deeds for one house I paid off. (Thinking I shouldn't still be holding them as I remortgaged).

As above, but they might not be shown. Ours - for a house on a 2007-built estate - doesn't show them. Judging by who has replaced what fence over the years though there does however appear to have been a convention followed that you own the ones to the left when facing the house from the front. Don't know if that's a local thing though, perhaps very local!

It also seems conventional to have the 'nice' face facing outwards from the owners property. I know some people don't like the idea of this, but something that's always stuck with me is one person's view that having your fence 'facing' outwards fits with the idea of you keeping other people out rather than them keeping you out, if you see what I mean! 

Edited by MJNewton

My opinion is as follows for expierence. T marks although useful, are not accepted by judges in law. The,i own the left fence, and you own the right, again has no basis in law. As Ferd said, the idea of putting the nice side of the fence towards your neighbour, was a historic thing, before fence panels. The idea was that the featheresge was pointing towards your neighbour, and the rails were on your side. This was considered polite, and because it made it harder for your property to be entered from your neighbours side. My advice would be to replace a fence in exactly the same position as the old one, and take a few photos first. There are many cases at the Land registry where a couple of inches has cost in excess of £100k to get sorted.

2 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

My opinion is as follows for expierence. T marks although useful, are not accepted by judges in law. The,i own the left fence, and you own the right, again has no basis in law. As Ferd said, the idea of putting the nice side of the fence towards your neighbour, was a historic thing, before fence panels. The idea was that the featheresge was pointing towards your neighbour, and the rails were on your side. This was considered polite, and because it made it harder for your property to be entered from your neighbours side. My advice would be to replace a fence in exactly the same position as the old one, and take a few photos first. There are many cases at the Land registry where a couple of inches has cost in excess of £100k to get sorted.

When I did (& paid for) both fences my neighbours got the arris rail side. They were just happy not to have to fork out and to get rid of the wrinkly tin. 

My first place was odd that in the old boy who'd had it worked for a landscaping company even after retirement. For years he'd come home with a Co-op bag or two full of top soil. Over many years the garden built up to over a foot deeper than the adjacent properties, held back by the corrugated fence. Had a beautiful rose garden mind. Meant I had to fit 1' gravel boards, 2 deep in some places.

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Thanks but don't the bank/building society hold them all the time you're paying a mortgage off?

Saying that I've the deeds for one house I paid off. (Thinking I shouldn't still be holding them as I remortgaged).

Land Registry for about £4 these days. ?

Unless you are one of the holdouts who has not registered it.

F