what is living space

LSB

I have been asked to list each room to say what is living space.

So, the snug is 100% living space, but what about the following.

Walk in wardrobe

ensuite

pantry

utility

bathroom

wc

office

hall

just trying to work out size of living space versus size of the whole barn prior to conversion.

TIA

Jill

office is only one in that list. It could be argued that a large walk in wardrobe off a bedroom could be used as a habitable room.... e.g. we'll be using ours as the baby's room for a year or so.

"A room used for dwelling purposes but which is not solely a kitchen, utility room, bathroom, cellar or sanitary accommodation."

it's a barn conversion and on one side the roof is a bit low at only 2.1m without any insulation.

Our architect has said that we may  be refused planning if we use this part as normal rooms, but we can use this space by putting non-living rooms at that side, such as bathrooms, walk in wardrobe and even the utility room.

We are going to try and dig down, but class q planning says that you must use the existing foundations, even though the barn doesn't have them as such.

We must leave the walls which also means that digging down might end up with us needing under pinning.

All things to think about.

A lot of this is to get the planning, the architect says that we can then put in an amendment to make that part of roof higher by changing the pitch of the roof as the other side is over 3 m.

Edited by LSB

you're paying an architect to do this stuff for you, surely they can design something to meet the class q requirements? 

(I don't ever remember planning commenting on the internal heights of rooms before, it happens quite regularly that things get approved for planning which are impossible or impractical to build!)

The architect has drawn plans that meet class Q, I had given him my ideas, but he said he couldn't do them because of the roof height.

The problem with Class Q is that the dimensions, up down and round about must not exceed the size of the barn, that includes upwards, i.e. the roof line.

The architect may be over anxious and planning wouldn't care if I built a cave dwelling.

The planning delay is not due to this, but due to possible contamination.

What I'm wondering though is can I change the internal layout to what I want after approval or do I have to submit a change of application.