Barn conversion - new to the forum

TimberButcher

Hello!  I've researched this forum before but never joined, so now is the time I think: I'm embarking on a barn conversion...a very slow barn conversion.  I have a static caravan on site with electric and with water to come in September.  I'm hoping to be living on site by Christmas all things being well ;0)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!  Sorry about the quality of the photo below, but it does give you an idea.  I'm in Suffolk.

It's not listed and is in pretty good shape.  Mostly elm.  There's an issue with some racking to the front corner, but otherwise it's fairly sound.  I have permission to convert and add a t-shaped extension.

I have plans etc. but am still not sure how to go about the build as I've been so busy.  I hope to be able to work a bit and then spend money on the build; rinse and repeat for as long as it takes.  I don't like loans etc. and have never had a mortgage, but I may have to consider it....

2020-08-23_10-13-07.jpg

I'm not much of a photo taker so this came from Google Maps.  Not much has changed: I had to take out the corner of the adjacent building to get my caravan through on the right and my static sits at right angles in front of the old galvanised roof building you can see in the background on the far right.  I was going to start demo. work on the adjacent building this year but I've been so busy.

I'm a bit conflicted about the old pan tiles: mixed pans never sit well and I don't have enough to do the whole roof of the barn or anywhere near, but I may have enough for the extension.  I'm not sure whether to sell them and use all new or keep hold of them...

2 hours ago, TimberButcher said:

I hope to be able to work a bit and then spend money on the build; rinse and repeat for as long as it takes.  I don't like loans etc. and have never had a mortgage, but I may have to consider it....

I am the same as you, saved up and purchased my run down place for cash, left me pretty skint but having never had any dept I did not want to start.

i have seen so many people get into dept when life was going well only to hit a speed bump in later years and then be raked with financial worry for years to come or at worst loose everything..... I make a tiny income as a self employed person and just do what I can when I can.... seven years in and still a long way to go but I live on site 10 months of the year and work on my 3 decrepit buildings and 5 acres every day and love it. Anyway welcome to the forum, it looks like a fantastic project. Why not sell the tiles and just go with tin throughout? 

10 hours ago, Cpd said:

Why not sell the tiles and just go with tin throughout?

? actually though that's not a bad idea money-wise; I've got quite a bit of galvanise from an old scaffolding job that was tinned over.  All the same, I think I'll stick with pans...

10 hours ago, Cpd said:

seven years in and still a long way to go but I live on site 10 months of the year and work on my 3 decrepit buildings and 5 acres every day and love it.

Good for you!  I'm a carpenter by trade and I wouldn't do anything else.  Nothing like working on old buildings, pottering about!  Have you got any pics?