You're underground what did you expect ?

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

Isn't the wall construction an important detail too?

Floor to top of wall 2.6m

wall depth 24cm

height of load let’s say 2m

Wall is concrete ‘lego’ blocks . Reinforcing rods added ; top was shuttered to make a solid concrete ‘cap ‘ then pumped in concrete all in 1 go . The wall’s not going anywhere !

image.jpg

image.jpg

If the top 'cap' of the wall is going to remain exposed you could have a pole that drops in the corner with a couple of saddles that sit on the wall, one in each direction.

Drop the whole shebang in place when needed and remove when not, no fixings or redundant crap to look at long term.; thinking of a time when it's not a building site.

Edited by JFDIY

27 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

If the top 'cap' of the wall is going to remain exposed you could have a pole that drops in the corner with a couple of saddles that sit on the wall, one in each direction.

Drop the whole shebang in place when needed and remove when not, no fixings or redundant crap to look at long term.; thinking of a time when it's not a building site.

Ultimately I’m guessing some coping stones on top - but I’ll worry about that later . Please give me an example of a ‘saddle’ . Still need counter weight etc ??

At the risk of repeating myself, here are my (rough) drawings of what I would do. I would not use saddle clamps for the upright pole as any load is pulling the fixings out of the wall (not ideal). The parapet clamp as @Onoff posts above is my idea for a bracket of some description over the top of the wall so the load is on the whole wall not just fixings (the reason for me asking the construction of the wall). The bottom of the pole needs no fixings as any load simply pushes the pole into the corner. Timbers up the wall to rub the pallet up and down. Horizontal pole extended a little over the pallet with a long bolt which locates in a hole in the pallet to stop it moving around when at the top being loaded. Straps or cables through spreader bars from pallet four corners to winch hook. Auto stop on the winch set to when the pallet is at ground level and horizontal pole touching pallet. Joints for poles being scaffold clamps. The spreader bars to be at the max height for whatever load you require. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

At the risk of repeating myself, here are my (rough) drawings of what I would do. I would not use saddle clamps for the upright pole as any load is pulling the fixings out of the wall (not ideal). The parapet clamp as @Onoff posts above is my idea for a bracket of some description over the top of the wall so the load is on the whole wall not just fixings (the reason for me asking the construction of the wall). The bottom of the pole needs no fixings as any load simply pushes the pole into the corner. Timbers up the wall to rub the pallet up and down. Horizontal pole extended a little over the pallet with a long bolt which locates in a hole in the pallet to stop it moving around when at the top being loaded. Straps or cables through spreader bars from pallet four corners to winch hook. Auto stop on the winch set to when the pallet is at ground level and horizontal pole touching pallet. Joints for poles being scaffold clamps. The spreader bars to be at the max height for whatever load you require. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The only issue I've got is the length to weight ratio that the counter weight scaff pole needs to be . i..e I've got limited room for it ( drain in the way ) so will need to be shorter - but obviously can stick more weight on it to compensate .

Struggling to find parapet clamps at a sensible price....

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

The only issue I've got is the length to weight ratio that the counter weight scaff pole needs to be

Distance from vertical pole to hook on winch = half diagonal dimension of pallet. If horizontal pole is = this length then counter weight to just exceed max weight you intend to lift, if half this length you need double this weight!

just realised my clamp may get in the way of the horizontal pole ??????

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

can you not make it, angle iron and angle grinder!

image.jpg

Ummm, I guess so ( he says ). Essentially it is better because as you say bolt can pull out the wall with a U clamp. With this method it's directly in the wall vertically.

All I need then in reality is maybe a nice meaty right angle bracket that I can cut/drill to suit.

Edited by pocster
  • Thanks 1

Looking at cargo slings on eBay now. Not ordered yet as best to build something; so I have some idea.

So ( for now! ) will use a wooden pallet as platform.

2 slings I assume ; 1 each side; going under pallet ( some timber or something to stop them slipping ) 

Up into spreader ( still not sure what to use here - perhaps simple timber is ok? ) then to hook.

• Like 1

Problem with that is no room for both clamps on the vertical pole, ideally you need this (but need a welder to make It) flat plate say 5mm. Do you have a welder or fabricators near you (Avonmouth) would not take them long at all.

image.jpg

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Problem with that is no room for both clamps on the vertical pole, ideally you need this (but need a welder to make It) flat plate say 5mm. Do you have a welder or fabricators near you (Avonmouth) would not take them long at all.

image.jpg

Couldn’t I just use my method and each short horizontal is above the other ? I.e 2 clamps on the vertical. Trying to sort an off the shelf solution ...

Just now, pocster said:

Couldn’t I just use my method and each short horizontal is above the other ? I.e 2 clamps on the vertical. Trying to sort an off the shelf solution ...

I’ll look online there’s bound to be “ online fabrication service “ ....

Then, a short length of angle iron bolted down the back of the wall to take the load ( I need a lie down now ?)

shame I am so far away, I could knock this up fir you.

image.jpg

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1