Moving a septic tank outlet...

djcdan

Hi all. We sunk our septic tank last week, and based on manufacturers installation guide we surrounded in dry mix. We took level measurements prior to backfilling, but at some stage (possibly with weight of water and potentially a pocket beneath the septic) there has been movement during installation and the inlet end now sits 1.5cm lower than the outlet end... ?

We need to find a way to rectify the situation before we begin using. A complete removal is a possibility, but one that I'd like to avoid to avoid the time and cost involved as well as the potential for puncturing the tank. If we could find a solution without uninstalling, that would be ideal. 

The best solution I can come up with is lowering the outlet point. The outlet point is a separately manufactured part secured to the HPDE tank with a form of sealant. My idea would involve removing the outlet (possibly with the correct sized hole saw), creating a lower hole (again with the hole saw) and then securing and sealing the joint with a suitable form of sealant. I would lower the outlet by around 5cm.

Has anyone had similar issues before? Does my idea have legs or am I best exploring other options.

Ok so this may cause you an issue from the MIs

• Comes complete with an integrated outlet filter system for increased solids removal and soakaway protection, extending the life of the soakaway.

I think you need to dig it out. Sorry. 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

• Comes complete with an integrated outlet filter system for increased solids removal and soakaway protection, extending the life of the soakaway.

+1

Get a good operator to go around the lot, digging into the surrounding ground, and then wiggle the whole mass back into a correct position. Can be done in a day.

You'll need a tonne or two of type 1 handy to back-fill. Hose that into place 300mm at a time to allow it to settle and compact.

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The outlet filter system is a cylindrical insert that fits inside the inspection chamber you can just about see in that photo. The outlet slots in to the insert. Imo, there should be no issue reintegrating the new outlet position to this insert if this adaptation is made to the tank.

12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

digging into the surrounding ground, and then wiggle the whole mass back into a correct position

Our subsoil is clay. Around 50% of the previously excavated hole was topsoil with clay beneath. There won't be much opportunity for wiggling in to the correct position. To get any of the clay moved beneath the dry mix to solve the issue it would need the entire mass lifted out. The mass will weigh 7T, so our groundworkers digger wouldn't cope with that. 

Ok so the inlet and outlet are 175/225 respectively on the tank according to the MIs

You now have 175 and 160 - so basically you have a tank 65mm too high at one end so it’s close on 2 degrees out of level. 

Water doesn’t flow up hill .... This also means you have the potential for the weir and baffles internally not to work, so you have a non working septic tank. 

Irrespective of who is at fault or how hard it is going to be, I would take that out and start again. Looking at the waste filter system it is connected to the outlet internally - you can’t just hack a hole in the tank and expect it all to drop to a lower level. 

13 hours ago, djcdan said:

.... there has been movement during installation and the inlet end now sits 1.5cm lower than the outlet end... ?

You have my genuinely deep sympathy. I used to have nightmares about this issue. 

If you are in Lancashire,  I'll come and give you a hand sorting it out....