costs for fitting standing seam roof

GaryM

Hi All,

We are having a standing seam roof on our house and are getting a few quotes in. I'm surprised at the amount for installing the roof, it's quite large 240m2 but they are all around £8000+vat for fitting. I know it is difficult to say, but how long does it take to fit a standing seam roof on a detached house?   My logic is 2 people over 5 days at £250 = £2500 , will it take a lot longer or are day rates a lot more?

I only have experience with Catnic/Tata and it does not take that long to be honest. Putting the panels down is easy, if it is just a straight up and over detached roof with no hips/valleys then you could finish that in a day easily. The setting out and doing the edges, starter panel and ridge detail a bit longer but nowhere near £8000 worth. I went on the day course with Tata and saved a small fortune  by doing it myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would say the price in the first post is about right. 

I had a quote of £12,000 to fit 350m so about £35 a M. 

Is the £12,000 just for installing and not the materials? if it so is in line with mine.

23 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

what material are you using? I've found the time is really in all of the verge/gutter/facia details rather than just the main roof covering, do you have rooflights etc too?

Yes you are right, I did not have any rooflights

@the_r_sole The quote for materials was for coated aluminium, I was quite happy with that. I do have 8 roof lights and there is a dormer plus a number of verges and ridges  so it is quite complicated, I was just a little surprised about amount.

I'm going to use standard plastic eaves and soffits to help reduce costs.

If the installation cost is quite standard, then I will go with it.

Thanks

I think you will be surprised at the amount of work, it is certainly not a small job. 

Make sure you have your details right around those windows so they don’t clash with a seam. 

Houses near me that have lots of roof windows have custom width sheets around the windows. 

@Russell griffithsYes it was the initial shock of the price, but works out aorund £30 - 35 m2 which is about the going rate.

I think we will be in the position to specify the roof lights to fit the panel widths.

I'm getting a lot of shocks lately, I already have a glazed gable end wall with bifolds, just had new quote in for some more glazing, I knew it would be a bit more but not four times the cost :(

I have quote for £57/m2 supply and fit.  This is based on a fairly small area of 13m2.

Edit: Oops completely misread as "Sedum"!,  so that £57/m2 is for Sedum roof, sorry!

Edited by Dan F

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...