Skirting & architrave

CC45

Evening,

had it delivered this week - primed mdf.  Would it benefit from another coat of primer (I've got some Zinsser to hand)?  Would you prime the rear of it as well as the face?  I was going to just glue this on using pinkgrip - is this sensible or would it benefit from a nail as well?  Is it worth putting the top coat on before fixing (especially if glued on)?  If I nail it - I assume oval head nails just below the surface & then filled - what would you use as filler?

I was going to glue and nail the architrave.

It would be great if you could all share your secrets!

Cheers

CC

Glue them on and wedge them using chocks screwed to the floor. I put a bead of adhesive about 1/2 to 2/3rd down and a bead of decorators caulk half an inch from the top and just wipe the excess off as it squeezes out and you get a nice clean line. 

• Thanks 1

I roller another undercoat on the face on my own jobs. Some people here were saying they paint the bottom edge to stop it blowing but I cba with that. I use a 2nd fix pin gun and pink or grip fill but have just switched to foam instead. I think the foam is a better fixing and it's cheaper. On the arcs I use mitre bond, build them all up in one room. Then flip them over, bead of pva where they hit the frame then dobs of grippo every 12" or so. 

I wouldn't use ovals if I were you they will be too rough knocking in by hand. 

• Thanks 1

We had the same primed MDF skirting and architrave. I didn't re-prime the rear just touched up where necessary on the front. Glued to the wall using Heavy Duty Titebond Construction, didn't use any nails or pins.

Just started fitting some mdf pencil round architrave / skirting. Bought a few new tools, fine cut saw 9tpi and a coping saw. 

The Mitre fast is excellent for fixing the door architrave together before nailing to the door frame. Nailing which is a novelty in my build.

Pink grip goes off quite quickly and Toupret wood filler excellent. No nonsense caulk for filling small gaps.

I use a damp sponge to clean excess off as you go.

@Oz07 What foam do you use as I find the Pinkgrip a little hard?

IMG_5056.jpg

Pencil round..jpg

• Thanks 1