So, I've had an estimate back from a builder who I think I can work with, it's competitive so that's a plus, and nicely broken down to in three stages for shell construction as that's what I asked for.  Our situation is that we live in a bungalow on site, to be demolished after new build completion.  We have a rental property that's just gone on the market.  We have savings.  And I'm trying to do this project without borrowing, or if we have to borrow, then it's going to be short term.  So facts and figures...

Were looking at a 200m2 chalet style build, brick block on filled foundations, block beam floor, One floor to gable glazed section, one dormer, one dormer cum balcony, and a velux.  Steels to help with the structure, ...

He's priced in just shy of £30,000 for groundworks/Foundations/Blocks,Bricks up to DPC/Block and Beam floor ready for insulation and screed

+ £57000 for brick and blockwork, internal blockwork, floor joists and boards, insulation, ties, lintels as per drawings

+ £30000 for the roof structure and tiled in

Balcony, Velux, and Windows/Doors are left for structure to be watertight.  Got to arrange a factory visit with a local glazing firm to see what they can do for me.

There's bound to be extra's here and there too

Once watertight, we'll reassess with the builder and either let him proceed or we'll take over and organise trades/DIY as appropriate.

We have just over half that in savings, so my quandry is, get the team in sort the foundations, get up to dpc, lay the floor, and STOP, whilst we sort out the £££'s to continue  - Can I leave it like this, will any of the material degrade if left like this???  get him to continue upto first floor level, if money allows then STOP. 

Realistically, there'll be a lead time for him to come back, then we might be into late autumn/winter can I leave the building structure in this state over these seasons, I don't envisage any of the floor joists will be onsite at this point, I'd not be leaving timber open to the elements?

TLDR

I'm keen to get cracking, finance at this point dictates I can only get so far, money in pipeline but don't know when.  Get started or not???  Builder seems happy to work with me, in stages, doesn't mind me purchasing materials, or if he does it then he'll pass over the invoice breakdowns etc etc, I've explained money situation, honesty being the best policy and all that..

What say's Buildhub?

I did much the same.  With limited funds I employed a contractor to start the build, on the understanding that when the money ran out I would instruct him to stop.  He was happy to work like that and we just about got a basic shell built before I had to give the stop instruction.

If you are doing an insulated cavity build I would be worried if you had to stop before you got the roof on, keeping the cavity and already fitted insulation dry until you resume.

I built mine over 18 months. Put the founds in and let them sit over the winter, November to Feb. Started to build again and got the roof on for September. I was doing this on my days off work so was only onsite 2/3 days each week.

Let it sit over winter again and then started up again.

You could leave your foundations sitting for years and years and at most it might need a bit of bleach if you get moss on the walls.

If your going for beads for your insulation then you will have no problems with your cavity. They don't get blown in until near the end. Just need to cover the top of the brickwork so rain can't sit and soak in and you end up with salt staining. A roll of 225mm dpc on top works perfectly.

We're planning on 100mm PIR insulation and I've heard about degradation and stability of this, so yes that's a good point I'm not sure it'd be a wise move to leave parts exposed.  Also just After I'd posted, I thought about scaffolding costs, either long term hire, or erect/dismantle and then for them to have to come back to erect/dismantle, incurring ongoing costs, or double puts me off a bit. 

The more I think, the walls and roof ought to follow quite closely.